Short shifter problems...Wont stay in gear

rude_life

Mar 30, 2005
When i put a hurst short shifter in my 95gt last may, it started popping out of fifth gear. It wont stay in 5th...If i put in 5th and stay on the gas, it seems that the torque holds it in but if i let off the gas then i have to have my hand on it to hold it in gear. What might be causing this to happen and what ultimately is going to take care of the problem?

• Sponsors (?)

It sounds like you need to adjust your stop. Turn it just a bit, test drive and see if it pops out. Keep on 'til it does not pop out. I set mine at the edge of just not popping out. Just One Man's Opinion. Peace

I had a similar problem with my Hurst in my 84 and my 85. The boot Hurst furnished was stiff and in cold weather it would pop out of third gear. I never experienced that during the summer. This problem first showed up on the 85. I put the boot into very hot water and stretched it some. This helped some but does not eliminate it in cold weather. After the exhaust heat builds it does improve.

It could be as others suggested and be the stop but in my case the probelm was completely gone if I drove with the boot removed so I was certain it was the boot.

Just my $.02

George

Well guys those are all good idea's but i failed to mention that i took that fu*ker outta there the next day after installed the shifter..This has been like 5 months now without the stop screw which is currently sitting in my glove compartment..Anyhow the problem still exists.

Thanks..
Kris

Methodical said:
It sounds like you need to adjust your stop. Turn it just a bit, test drive and see if it pops out. Keep on 'til it does not pop out. I set mine at the edge of just not popping out. Just One Man's Opinion. Peace

I'm with you on this one, the same thing happend to me. I adjusted the stop and was good to go.
Tim

rude_life said:
Well guys those are all good idea's but i failed to mention that i took that fu*ker outta there the next day after installed the shifter..This has been like 5 months now without the stop screw which is currently sitting in my glove compartment..Anyhow the problem still exists.

read that, 18mustangs