Fox Should I buy a fuel cell? Plus other questions.

James V

5 Year Member
Feb 26, 2017
Connecticut
Hi again. I have a 93 notch. I'm pretty new to the car scene and slowly learning as I go and work on my first project car. I was having issues with my current fuel tank, I'm pretty sure the pump is broken because whenever its below half a tank I start having idle issues. Anyhow someone recommended to me to purchase a fuel cell instead. What are the pros and cons of that? Would I need a fuel pump and also can someone point me in the right direction if they have a link to a good fuel cell system? I dont really like the look of the gas tank hanging there so I think it will be a nice upgrade. And final question I would obviously mount the fuel cell in the trunk, can I still do a battery relocation and mount the battery back there too without any safety risk?

As always thanks for the help.

• Sponsors (?)

Fuel cell in a street car isn't that great. You'd need a big fuel cell to be able to drive any real distance. A fuel cell next to a battery without a fire wall would be unsafe. If you use a fuel cell you will need an external fuel pump, pre fuel pump filter, after fuel pump filter, and fuel lines ran. ( it gets expensive quick ).

You never said what was done to the cars engine. My guess is that you don't need a fuel cell. Just get a new tank, fuel pump, fuel pump hanger, fuel pump strainer, fuel filter, and new sending unit. It'll be way cheaper and a lot easier.

For messing up at a half tank could be a couple things.... the level reading could be wrong... or the rubber hose that goes from the pump to the supply line could be cracked or loose. A bad pump doesn't care about the level in the tank.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Fuel cell in a street car isn't that great. You'd need a big fuel cell to be able to drive any real distance. A fuel cell next to a battery without a fire wall would be unsafe. If you use a fuel cell you will need an external fuel pump, pre fuel pump filter, after fuel pump filter, and fuel lines ran. ( it gets expensive quick ).

You never said what was done to the cars engine. My guess is that you don't need a fuel cell. Just get a new tank, fuel pump, fuel pump hanger, fuel pump strainer, fuel filter, and new sending unit. It'll be way cheaper and a lot easier.

For messing up at a half tank could be a couple things.... the level reading could be wrong... or the rubber hose that goes from the pump to the supply line could be cracked or loose. A bad pump doesn't care about the level in the tank.

Thanks for the insite. I'll stick with the regular gas tank most likely then.