Should I Buy An 2007 Mustang Gt V8??

SilentKnight

Nov 9, 2017
Hey Guys, Im thinking about buying a 2007 Mustang GT deluxe v8 convertible. It looks mint drive well, but it has 97k miles on it. What should I look out for as a first time Mustang owner of a high mileage V8? What are some must do's in terms of maintenance to keep the car running well? Also should I be worried about the convertible top acting up? ANy input would be appreciated

• Sponsors (?)

SilentKnight - YES you should - Little known fact about the S197 mustangs ..first the 2005 - 2009's have some of the highest production numbers EVER even in the face of the economic crash. The S197 had the MOST models of any Mustang era (I believe it was 87 unique models). Also in terms of customization, aftermarket parts, etc. ...AGAIN , highest of all.

So here is my advance from a guy that owns a 2008 Mustang GT California Special Convertible (check out some of my posts)
1) Change the oil, tranny fluid and rear diff fluid - do it at jiffy lube and you can be done in an hour...or do it yourself - just do it
2) Change the Spark plugs - but here is the bad news - your 2007 has the dreaded 2 piece sparkplugs which if not removed carefully will break off in the head...NOT COOL. There are TONS of youtube videos on how to do it without issue but be patient and pay attention
3) Change the VCT solenoids (they stick up out of the valve covers) They are not expensive and again - YOUTUBE on the easy how-to
4) Change the coilpacks - stick with the original equipment ford ones because 1) Price 2) Quality 3) durability
5) Major but well worth it upgrades - If you never get past these two you will still be doing awesome
Cold Air breather and race tune - Going to cost you about $700 bucks for a JLT cold air breather and the tuner from Bama (kit) with tunes for life, but it unleashes the power of you Mustang - but you are then committed to 91 octane or better
Exhaust - AT LEAST just change the mufflers (I went with the Roush Extreme ) and get rid of the wimpy restrictive stock mufflers. EASY change do it yourself

Feel free to ping me for more info - and here are some pics to make you go hmmmmm

WP_20170923_09_06_35_Rich.jpg strut tower and pony.jpg WP_20171103_17_27_53_Rich.jpg WP_20170506_20_57_04_Pro.jpg WP_20170702_14_28_38_Pro.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
FYI...obviously I have done more than what I listed above but feel free to ask...oops ..and I forgot to answer ...I have had ZERO issues with my top....just check it out , make sure it all works....You hit he button, it drops all four windows. and top goes down

Up, same thing if they were up - always drops the windows first

IMPORTANT - All 4 windows up, open the door, you should see the front windows drop 1/4" (that's to clear the top). Close door, they should still be down and then they pop up into place, automatically . If they DONT DO THIS then they will RUB and wear the top...so make sure ll works well...and on that note...if you disconnect the battery or have a DEAD battery ...the windows wont operate so be careful

FYI...obviously I have done more than what I listed above but feel free to ask...oops ..and I forgot to answer ...I have had ZERO issues with my top....just check it out , make sure it all works....You hit he button, it drops all four windows. and top goes down

Up, same thing if they were up - always drops the windows first

IMPORTANT - All 4 windows up, open the door, you should see the front windows drop 1/4" (that's to clear the top). Close door, they should still be down and then they pop up into place, automatically . If they DONT DO THIS then they will RUB and wear the top...so make sure ll works well...and on that note...if you disconnect the battery or have a DEAD battery ...the windows wont operate so be careful

Robert thank you for the great advice and detailed list of maintenance and modification suggestions. I'm going through with the purchase! Thanks again for the insight. Btw your Stang is bad ass bro!! Definitely a goal for me to strive towards

Robert thank you for the great advice and detailed list of maintenance and modification suggestions. I'm going through with the purchase! Thanks again for the insight. Btw your Stang is bad ass bro!! Definitely a goal for me to strive towards

No problem....mine has been a labor of love the past year ...funny I have owned it since day one in 2008 and other than maintenance and keeping it clean, I did nothing. Then the bug bit and I went balls out...LOL

Next up will be
Supercharger
One piece drive shaft
Perhaps the gears from the 3.55 to 4.10's (pondering this)