Should I buy back my old car?

Mstng93SSP

You have a nice rear end there Dave.
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
Mililani, Hawaii
I found my old coupe on craigslist....again. (2nd time, it's like it's calling me) I have a nice '93 lx coupe right now. This one.

IMG-20120714-00575.jpg

Here is my old car when I owned it.

royal-blue-ssp_zps5128a49c.jpg

Here it is now:

oldcoupe_zpsa66ab652.jpg

Now, the guy is asking $4300 for my old car. It's pretty trashed, has no rear seat, has a 331 in it that has a hot start issue etc. But the car is not rotted out and is still fairly straight but needs paint. Here is the thing. It is an SSP and I bought it brand new (Yes I did. You have to trust me on that) I sold it 12 years ago and it was mint. I got $9500 for it back then. I really want my old car but I don't know if my emotions are outweighing common sense here? I know some will say it is ultimately whatever makes me happy but I'm looking for opinions. I was thinking of trying to possibly work a trade with my current coupe? Current coupe has 5 lug, 4 wheel disc with cobra mc/booster, calipers rotors etc. Nice rims, MINT black interior, auto with shift kit, new windshield, pretty straight with half decent paint. What do you think?

Chris

Attachments

• IMG-20120714-00575.jpg
    IMG-20120714-00575.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 86
  • royal-blue-ssp_zps5128a49c.jpg
    royal-blue-ssp_zps5128a49c.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 96
  • oldcoupe_zpsa66ab652.jpg
    oldcoupe_zpsa66ab652.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 111
  • Sponsors (?)

unless you are just jonesing for the nostalgia of your old car I would say you are insane. Your current coupe is twice as nice as the old one. I say pass unless its just something that have to have back in your life.

Nay. That isn't the car that you remember or sold. I'll put it to you this way. If that was just any random coupe and not "your car" then would you consider trading what you have right now to get it?

It's okay to be a little crazy, just don't be stupid :)

i've bought old cars back twice now over the years. both i owned for a bit then parted them out and crushed them.

bought them back for sentimental reasons. that lasted a few years then wore off. they needed to too much work then what it was worth.

i say it really depends on the shape of the car.. if it needs a ton of work then i say pass. it will got old fast. and personally i like your white one better.

I thought about that, buying it, swapping parts etc. but its a matter of cashflow...or actually lack of cash flow. I hear what everyone is saying, and it makes sense for sure. I have a feeling when I see it in person I am going to be extremely let down. My white coupe is nice for sure. It drives REALLY nice! I'm sure I would kick myself if I got rid of it.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

I thought about that, buying it, swapping parts etc. but its a matter of cashflow...or actually lack of cash flow. I hear what everyone is saying, and it makes sense for sure. I have a feeling when I see it in person I am going to be extremely let down. My white coupe is nice for sure. It drives REALLY nice! I'm sure I would kick myself if I got rid of it.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

You'll either be let down when you see it, or you'll realize months and months down the road that you made a mistake.

leave it, i have a barn full with a couple of foxbodys I thought I needed.

nah you were playing that game whoever has the most foxbodys wins nothing wrong with a stable of two means you double your chances of having a fox ready when you need one also its nice to have two if you want one strip only and other street yup i gotta disagree with ya

have you gone and actually set eyes on it? drove it? when i was looking to buy i came to the realization that sellers post the best pic they can of the car. that pic might not be current. the decision not to buy might be as easy as a car ride down there.

I know this sounds crazy to some guys, but I LOVE the automatic. It has a shift kit and barks the tires when ever I want to. I actually did the 5 speed conversion on the blue ssp car when I owned it. I have an '03 Mach 1 that is a 5 speed and its fun to drive but sitting in traffic doing the left leg legpress gets real old, real fast.