shuddering while in Overdrive

BlueOval97

Jul 24, 2005
Hey folks,

My name is Dave and this is my first post. I found this site through socalstangs.com and it seems like there's a lot more people here to answer some technical questions.

I drive a '97 GT and to cut to the chase, I installed a new TCI AOD trans with their street fighter torque converter. I love the way it shifts now, but something strange happened when I was climbing a long hill. I was in overdrive, doing about 2500+ rpms and the car starts to shudder or vibrate underneath me. I let off the gas and it stops. I get back on it and it starts again. I step on the gas enough to drop down a gear and it goes away. Back at 2500 rpms, it comes back. Finally I try turning overdrive off and it goes away again.

I should mention, during the tranny swap, we didn't do anything to the overdrive at all (not that I would really know because I'm the least technical guy on this forum). Anyone have any idea what is going on?

Thanks for your help.

Dave

• Sponsors (?)

If you crawl underneith your car and where your drive shaft connects to the yoke and the rear end housing push up on it or move it side to side and see if there is any play. If there is more then a quater inch i would say they are going bad

I don't think u joints are it, as you stated it only does it in overdrive, a gear where cars typically are loaded a bit more, making increased demand on the fuel/air system.

Everyone has driveline shudder, even my new 04 had it off the lot. Check the fuel and let us know!