Side Gapping Plugs

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
I've side gapped many sets of plugs on NA cars with good results. I've never done it for a boosted engine. Any concerns with trying this on a boosted engine?

• Sponsors (?)

My concern was if the side gapping exposed the spark in the combustion more it might encourage spark blowout in a forced induction engine. I've done some more web searches and it looks like it's the other way. Side gapping reduces spark blowout. If you want to see for yourself, google serach "side gapping to reduce spark blowout". There are a number of discussions about it.

I have a used but decent set of Motorcraft AGSF32FM. These are platinum and it will be the first time I try this trick with platinum but what have I got to loose? Gonna side gap these and give it a whirl. Since the main drawback of side gapping is increased wear of the tip, I figure the platinum tip might resist that wear. We shall see.

AGSF32FM.jpg

You will want to use standard resistor type plugs with the blower. I would steer clear of platinum plugs all together. I typically like to use standard autolite plugs or in higher hp applications the autolite "race" plugs that have cut back straps. NGK makes a good plug as well, standard V power resistor plugs will do the trick just fine.

What are you gapping the plugs to now? I would like to see you around .032 with 8 lbs of boost

Reactions: 1 user
I went from .054 to .035. I'll set the next set at .032. I'll take your advice and stick with the standard plugs.

I'll try the AR764's.

Nick, quick question;

In the SCT chip that you tuned for me, were there any changes to the factory rev limiter setting? No issues here, just wondering.

Thanks

Rev limiter remains at 6250, you'll want to avoid the rev limiter ;)
I usually advise guys with similar combos to shift between 5800-6000

That's my plan exactly. Set shift light at 5800. By the time you react at 5800, it's probably getting to 6000 before the task of shifting is done.

Thanks for the follow up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I've got the AR764's in hand. They claim to have the cut back ground electrode but it's not much different than standard ground electrode. I'm going to trim these some before installing. Here are a few pics. The last shows a side by side pic of one pre and post trimming.

P1030031.jpg

P1030032.jpg

P1030036.jpg