Engine Sitting engine seized, any hope for saving it?

Ive got a 79 fox with an 89(ish) 5.0 HO in it. The car ran when parked but sat for about 20 years with no spark plugs, which is very not good. Went to rotate the crank to reinstall pushrods and rockers and it moved maybe an eighth of a turn and then stopped, guessing its seized from rust. I already sprayed it down with PB blaster and ill probably keep at it for a few dats before I try to rotate it. Is there even any chance I can free it? And assuming I do, will the rings and bore be intact enough that i dont have to pull the heads or tear the old engine down? This engine was supposed to be just put back together and new fluids and hoses so i could drop it in my 93 for the time and im hopping i dont have to rip it apart.

• Sponsors (?)

I've already used PB since that's what I had, is there any harm in putting mmo in it after a few more days?
I was joking as that was an option givin to you on another web site......
Personally, I would maybe try to see if I could get that engine running, just because I am retired and it would be a challenge.... Don't throw alot of money at it though.....

I was joking as that was an option givin to you on another web site......
Personally, I would maybe try to see if I could get that engine running, just because I am retired and it would be a challenge.... Don't throw alot of money at it though.....
Ah, gotcha. It does seem to be a common answer though. Definitely want to do this low cost though, as my other engine is gonna be the one getting the nice parts

Chances are the rust and dirt dobbers have had their way with the cylinders. Getting it running is one thing, but the surface is probably too pitted to give you a good enough ring seal for a performance application. IF you're lucky enough you might be able to get away with just a hone job and re-ring. I think you're in the expectation management mode now.

Chances are the rust and dirt dobbers have had their way with the cylinders. Getting it running is one thing, but the surface is probably too pitted to give you a good enough ring seal for a performance application. IF you're lucky enough you might be able to get away with just a hone job and re-ring. I think you're in the expectation management mode now.
The OP gave me the impression that he just needed this engine to get him around for a while?

Put some ATF in the cylinders and let it sit. Slowly work it back and forth.

See if you can rent an automotive borescope and take a peek inside the spark plug holes. See what sort of condition the cylinder walls are in. Even if you get it fired up, if there is rust in there all that is going to get scraped up and end up in your oil and *might* damage the bearings.

Honestly, if a few attempts to free the motor don't work, i would pull it and rip the heads off and assume I need to go through it. I don't think i've ever seen a seized engine up get freed up and driven for any amount of time.

Reactions: 1 users
50/50 ATF and Acetone is much better than pre made penetrating oils, especially for the quantity you will want here. MMO is not even a penetrating oil. PBlaster is in the right category, but not volume and cost.

After soaking, tractors are put in gear and rocked until the engine is freed or broken. If you have a manual transmission you can try that with friends/family after using the borescope (like @Mustang5L5 suggested) to make sure there is not an object in there that stopped it after 1/8 turn. Rust/corrosion would not allow that turn unless there was a bunch of it loose in a cylinder chamber that jammed.

Is this 79 Black and carbureted?

Reactions: 1 user