Electrical Sketchy Splice On Ground Quick Connect Wire?

DuderMcMerican

Mar 7, 2016
Woodbridge, VA
Hey guys,

Upon tracing grounds, I came upon this (please see pic). It's only a few inches down the ground quick connect wire mounted inside the fender by the battery. I unwrapped the tape and encountered a bulge of goopy flexible substance--almost the consistency of cured rubber cement. Inside the bulge I found bare copper wire spliced into four other wires--2 black and 2 black/green. This seems like a fairly sketch-bob riggin to me, but what do y'all think? I should note that I got no voltage drop with KOEO when testing each of the 4 wires across the goop bulge.

Attachments

• 20160509_130338.jpg
    20160509_130338.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 161
  • Sponsors (?)

I would take it apart, clean in all up real good and slide some heat shrink tubing on the wires. Then solder the wires and shrink the tubing.

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah....I'd remake that connection. Solder and heat shrink is the way to go

Done! :nice: Once I got all of the goop off of it, I discovered an interesting splice. The 5 wires junctioned and were somehow merged and compressed to form a perfect cube of copper. The strands were still visible, but it was compressed super tight. Never saw that before, but I'm a newb so..

Anyway, I cut.the wires, rejoined, soldered and heat shrink tubed em.

That's funny because I have the same thing but closer to my wiring for the exterior lights

Yeah?? I read on some website last night (can't remember which) that those splices are mechanically compressed and welded, presumably from the factory. I remember they said that they are "primitive," but they work. I hope the a$$ed-up splice I replaced it with works too! Haha.. I think it should... it's not as pretty, but I twisted the wires as well as I could, drew a bunch of solder into the joint, and shrink tubed it a bunch. I'll later test resistance and voltage drop just to be sure.

I'm certainly no expert, but assuming it is a factory splice job, I'd think it's probably fine to leave yours alone as long as it's not corroded and you can insulate it well with some heat shrink tube or tape.

Yeah?? I read on some website last night (can't remember which) that those splices are mechanically compressed and welded, presumably from the factory. I remember they said that they are "primitive," but they work. I hope the a$$ed-up splice I replaced it with works too! Haha.. I think it should... it's not as pretty, but I twisted the wires as well as I could, drew a bunch of solder into the joint, and shrink tubed it a bunch. I'll later test resistance and voltage drop just to be sure.

I'm certainly no expert, but assuming it is a factory splice job, I'd think it's probably fine to leave yours alone as long as it's not corroded and you can insulate it well with some heat shrink tube or tape.
I will probably clean it up like everyone on here suggested.

Reactions: 1 user
I will probably clean it up like everyone on here suggested.

I will allow it. :flag:(haha)

I admittedly don't know anything compared to the rest of y'all (note my 0 likes:lol:). Just thought I'd pass on the info I found re it being a factory splice because I'm not sure I would have messed with mine had I known.. other than sprucing up the insulation. My splicing handiwork is not so great when it comes to 1:4 wires:doh:

Also thought maybe others didn't have good view of the splice thanks to my shoddy photography..

Last edited: