slapping a motor together for my truck...

hungrymonkey

White by Birth, Trash By Choice
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
Oregon.
I am trying to piece together a motor for my truck. I have a 302 at the machine shop waiting for me to pick up. its nothing special, cast flat tops with a slightly bigger cam.

but here is the kicker, I pulled the heads apart to clean and put new keepers in and one of the valve guides has broken the tip off. They are nothing special, early 80's heads. So I really do not want to put any more money than I have to into this motor since I will be trying to sell the darn thing. I can either find a lower mile junkyard set and pay up the but for crappy heads. or have them fixed for an unknown amount.

I dont really know how much the heads would cost to be rebuilt.

I am half tempted to just slap them back together and bolt them on. but I dont want to screw anyone when I sell the truck.

anyone have some advice?

• Sponsors (?)

any shop can replace a valve guide in minutes. Porb run you about 15-20 bucks at most for one. Call your shop and ask...

if that doesnt work, ask your shop if they have a used serviceable 302 head lying around...they are like lint, usually, esp if you arent picky about the pedigree.