Slow re-fueling 2000 GT

Update. Replaced the charcoal canister for the final fix. At this point in time I have had several years of trouble free operation.

Bottom line. For slow re-fueling think first of a block in the gas tank vapor lines. First place to look is the CV Vent solenoid as spiders and other insects like to build their homes there. If the CV Vent solenoid is good, then think clogged charcoal canister. NOTE: you should be able to blow through a good working charcoal canister. So in my case the fact I could not meant a bad canister and hence WHY the gas tank was not venting correctly during re-fueling.

I know this thread is two years old, but I have recently been having the same issue with my 2005 Mustang where the service station pump continually shuts off prematurely. The latest mechanic* I've been to said I would need a new charcoal vapor canister, but he said he was unable to find one anywhere online. May I ask how you found a replacement one?? I am in desperate need of one and it seems like they stopped making them and are rare. If you found a good parts guy, I would love to contact them!

*The first mechanic cost me $900, which included replacing the vent filter and getting a completely new gas tank only to have the issue continue to occur, where they then suggested I get *another* new gas tank to try again. Fed up, I went for a second opinion, and after running a gamut of tests, the second mechanic concluded it was the charcoal vapor canister.

• Sponsors (?)

I know this thread is two years old, but I have recently been having the same issue with my 2005 Mustang where the service station pump continually shuts off prematurely. The latest mechanic* I've been to said I would need a new charcoal vapor canister, but he said he was unable to find one anywhere online. May I ask how you found a replacement one?? I am in desperate need of one and it seems like they stopped making them and are rare. If you found a good parts guy, I would love to contact them!

*The first mechanic cost me $900, which included replacing the vent filter and getting a completely new gas tank only to have the issue continue to occur, where they then suggested I get *another* new gas tank to try again. Fed up, I went for a second opinion, and after running a gamut of tests, the second mechanic concluded it was the charcoal vapor canister.
How about one of these?

Thank you for the reply! That link is for a 2000 Mustang, and when I try searching for a 2005 part, it comes up empty:

Will a charcoal vapor canister for the 2000 model work in my 2005 model?
Oh... Your thread title says 2000 GT.

To answer your question tho... Nope, I don't think it will fit. I was just poking around for images of the one for 2005 and the think looks like a SCUBA tank integrated with the fuel tank.

You might want to start looking at salvage yards. Just get the whole tank. All I see is "discontinued" and "out of stock" for new ones.

Horrible image but this gives you an idea and I believe this is the correct part number for your aplication:

1698436415610.png

It looks like you're going to have to drop the tank, no matter what.

Oh, I hadn't started this thread, I just replied to it because I was having an identical issue, albeit my issue is for a 2005 Mustang.

So the first mechanic I took it to found a used a gas tank and replaced mine and the issue is still occurring. They have said they are trying to find another used one, but it's been months and they haven't found any yet.

I'm trying to explore whatever options I can. From earlier in the thread, the original poster discussed drilling a hole, which, while not recommended, did help the issue. I understand there are downsides to that, but I'm not sure if those downsides are worse than the fact that I can never reliably fill my car with gas...

The second mechanic mentioned they disconnected something (maybe the the vapor canister, can't quite remember) and the car filled up without issue, but I am guessing disconnecting it also comes with downsides...

This is a really frustrating issue, and I'm disappointed Ford let this issue through, has discontinued charcoal vapor canisters for my car's year, and there doesn't seem to be any alternative to fixing this. :/

Once a car get more than 10 years old, the OEM's tend to discontinue parts. It is a sad fact.
Fortunately (sarcasm) I live in a State where a 10 year old vehicle is pretty much a rust bucket. Unless you park it all winter. Most everyone (not really, but a LOT of people) is forced to upgrade due to rust/corrosion.
When I moved to Maine 5 years ago with my 2001 F-250 4x4 SuperDuty, I had people offering to buy it from me all the time, mainly because it was rust free and dent free. You just don't see a 20 year old vehicle in that good of shape around here unless it is Summer driven only.

Once a car get more than 10 years old, the OEM's tend to discontinue parts. It is a sad fact.
Fortunately (sarcasm) I live in a State where a 10 year old vehicle is pretty much a rust bucket. Unless you park it all winter. Most everyone (not really, but a LOT of people) is forced to upgrade due to rust/corrosion.
When I moved to Maine 5 years ago with my 2001 F-250 4x4 SuperDuty, I had people offering to buy it from me all the time, mainly because it was rust free and dent free. You just don't see a 20 year old vehicle in that good of shape around here unless it is Summer driven only.

This makes sense, and I understand I am asking for a part for a car nearly 20 years old, so I should not expect it to be easy. I guess I had just gotten my hopes up because wmburns had said he replaced his charcoal vapor canister in 2021 for his 2000 car - so I was hoping that if he found a part for his, I might be able to find one for mine.