small block Windsor in a Morris Minor Gasser

Some more pistures of the car being built here is a picture of using my bead roller to flare the rear fenders. Works great when you have removable rear fenders. could be used on front fenders. These will be just random photos.
Merry Christmas everybody.
20170513_132731.jpg
DSCF3382 (1).JPG
20170514_102257_HDR1.jpg
20170407_1009511.jpg
20180406_160738 (1).jpg

• Sponsors (?)

More photos of the build . My first attempt at hand lettering. I went to a paint shop that bought out another paint store and has a bunch of OneShot lettering paint.
installing and cutting the Lexan windows. Rules that windows have to have trim to cover rivets or bolted in windows.
DSCF3559.JPG
DSCF3562.JPG
DSCF3550.JPG
DSCF3546.JPG
DSCF3547.JPG

Reactions: 1 users
First fire up ! Exciting to take an idea and 4 chalk marks on the floor to have a running driving car.
Then installing the sheet metal. Getting ready to go to the track. 87 inch wheelbase. About same size as my boss's Polairis side by side atv.
DSCF3536.JPG
DSCF3537.JPG
DSCF3540.JPG
DSCF3542.JPG
DSCF3557.JPG

• Hell Yeah!
The story behind the " Dancing Rabbit" name is my wife collects rabbit figurines and she said that thing looks like it should hop like rabbit going down the track.
So, I thought dancing rabbit sounded better than hopping rabbit. dancing Rabbit sounds like it is more under control.
My wife is a very important part of my racing . She works a job and gives me part of her pay check to buy parts and comes out to the garage and helps me with the car when I need an extra hand.

Well we are caught up with my build. I have lots of other build photos of the car but you guys would get bored looking at them. I just took them for reference in case I sell the car I can show the buyer every step in how it was transformed.
I am in the process of getting ready for the 2020 season with a new 12.0 to 1 333 inch stroker and a new cam. Should give me close to a 100 hp more than the 307 that I ran in 2019. Also rebuilding my top loader with a new product from Liberty that they are developing for guys with small input shaft transmission's.
The new input shaft will be made of 300M steel which will resist twisting . A common problem with small block top loaders in cars that hook up on slicks. Mine lasted 3 passes before it twisted.
Here are a few photo of my old pro street Morris Minor that ran a 5.0 with an AOD .4.11 gears with a 9 inch. 2300 lb street car. Mustang 2 front suspension.
DSCF0952.JPG
DSCF0951.JPG
DSCF0955.JPG
DSCF0953.JPG
DSCF0950.JPG

Reactions: 1 user
Oh man - just now seeing this thread! That is SPECTACULAR!!

Thanks, actually about 50 percent of the car was done in a one car garage. I am 70 years old and started building hot rods when I was 15 years old. I am a self taught car builder. You only get better by challenging yourself. Anybody can bolt on parts and say look what I built.
It's when you can't buy parts for what you want and have to make it yourself that you can truly say look what I built. You would be surprised what you can do when you can't afford to have your stuff built by somebody else. Growing up poor was a blessing because I was forced to learn how to fix or build my own cars if I wanted to have something special.

This is exactly the way I think about it. I've been something similar as my dad was killed when I was 11. I learned a little by helping him with his 55 wagon, but I ended up learning a lot as I grew older. Couple all of that with having a car that isn't common - the Mustang II - and you have a bit of a self taught fabricator as well as a self taught mechanic, even though I went to school for both later on.

Speaking of Tri-Five wagons, what's with the shorty 57? A 4 door that the doors got cut out or was it a 2 door that got shortened? My dad left that old 55 to me, I'm hoping to finally start working on it sometime in the next few years - it's a 150 Handyman....

The pro street Morris used the auger mufflers from Speedway . They weigh less than 2 lbs. and slide into the 3 inch pipes that I ran down the side the car and turned them out in front of the back tire. It sounded like an original Cobra with the side pipes until you went wide open and then it sounded awesome.
you could cruise at 65 down the highway and carry on a conversation with the windows open. It was turning about 2200 rpms at 60 with the AOD and 4.11 gears.
The shorty came to me as a rusted out 4 door wagon and a dream from a customer who's friend had one in high school. The guy was in his fifty's and had hung on to the dream of owning a shorty wagon to use as advertising for his vending company. So I spent 2 years and too much of his money to give him that wagon with tilt wheel, A/C ,power windows, sound system, power steering, disc brakes, bucket seats, 4 speed. With a mild built 350 4 bolt main Chevy.
2014-09-11 12.13.49.jpg
2012-01-12 22.49.06.jpg
2015-04-22 20.11.41.jpg
2015-09-03 12.05.09.jpg
2015-03-13 10.58.03.jpg

• Love
LILCBRA , where are you from ? I would like to meet you and maybe pass on some of the knowledge that I have accumulated from all of these years of building hot rods. I started building cars when the first Mustang was just being introduced. My neighbor across the road bought the very first 65 Mustang , a red 289 3 speed that was sold in the county.
I worked Mustang 11's like yours when I was working at Ford dealers when they were brand new. I sort of liked them. Helped a guy build a tube chassis one after he bought one that had been stolen and stripped. We put a 511 inch big block Ford on Alcohol and nitrous in it. It was a Top Sportsman car.
Here are a few more pictures of the shorty and a few of my Morris street car.
The Pro Maxx heads are great. The machine work is spot on. My car went 7.00 in the 1/8th with a broken rear main cap. after I twisted the input shaft on my top loader and put the crank in a bind.
2015-09-15 11.46.57.jpg
DSCF0957.JPG
DSCF0938.JPG
DSCF0958.JPG
2015-04-26 18.21.50.jpg

Enough memory lane. Back to my Morris Minor Gasser. Getting ready to test fit my new 333 short block so I can take it to the machine shop to get it balanced.
First issue I found was that PRW didn't send a short stud so that it would clear the oil pump on the main girdle. Using a late 65 289 block bored .040.
DSCF3573.JPG
DSCF3574.JPG
. after contacting them and telling them how long a stud that should be in the kit. They 2 day shipped a shorter one that I still had to cut off and rethread to get the clearance I needed to get the oil pump to set down on the block and still clear the main girdle

Attachments

• DSCF3569.JPG
    DSCF3569.JPG
    262.7 KB · Views: 106