So I have heard the Mustang II suspension has poor negative camber gain..

wicked93gs

15 Year Member
Sep 30, 2006
Nashville TN
from what I have read the maximum adjustment on it is -.5 degrees...at least for the heidts kit...which is what I have....anyone know first off whether this is true? I looked at the "hats" which weld to the top of the frame rail and they have slotted holes where the upper control arms bolt to with vertical bolts...presumably to adjust camber(makes perfect sense) just wondering f I slotted the holes a bit further whether this would allow more negative camber...I'll take a picture and post it if it needs clarifying

• Sponsors (?)

sla units? I would like to say I am just starting to learn about suspension characteristics and terminology, but isnt caster the angle between upper and lower pivot points? I would think that would require slots starting toward the front of the vehicle and running rearward, front to back so to say, the slots on the "hats" start at the passenger side and run toward the drivers side(or vice versa) I have trouble imagining slots like that used to adjust caster, though I can see toe in/toe out adjustability, keep in mind this isnt a mustang II, its a heidts IRS system based around the mustang II design....the original mustang II system also has strut bars, whereas this kit has tubular upper and lower control arms

Are there holes or studs? Can the mounting system be moved by welding/grinding.

Caster is the angle or difference in upper and lower ball joints per se. If the lower joint is more forward then you will have negative caster. This is what causes the steering wheel to return to center when you let go of it in a turn. THe weight of the car shifts in the direction opposite of the turn(turn left the right leans. Positive Caster is where the upper joint is more forward than the lowere. The wheel will tend to "wrap" up in the direction of the turn and supposed ly the weight of the car shifts in the same direction of the turn. (turn left, the cars lean to the left") For the street and most cases you want about 1* of negative caster unless your back end is higher than the rear then more has to be added to compensate. Positive caster is not too safe for the street for obvious reasons, however it was widely used in stock car racing (back in the early days) before power steering was reliable enough for the track. This put less wear and tear on the driver.

Camber is the angle or difference between the steering axis at top and bottom as if the car were viewed head on. Negative= bottom sticks out more. Positive= top sticks out more. Negative camber is used to help with cornering. x amount of degrees equals neutral or 0 when the car is under hard cornering stress because the wheel wants to stand up straight.. How ever too much posite you could roll a tire off a rim or the wheel would want to tuck under the car causing it too roll.
Ihope this helps

Are there holes or studs? Can the mounting system be moved by welding/grinding.

Caster is the angle or difference in upper and lower ball joints per se. If the lower joint is more forward then you will have negative caster. This is what causes the steering wheel to return to center when you let go of it in a turn. THe weight of the car shifts in the direction opposite of the turn(turn left the right leans. Positive Caster is where the upper joint is more forward than the lowere. The wheel will tend to "wrap" up in the direction of the turn and supposed ly the weight of the car shifts in the same direction of the turn. (turn left, the cars lean to the left") For the street and most cases you want about 1* of negative caster unless your back end is higher than the rear then more has to be added to compensate. Positive caster is not too safe for the street for obvious reasons, however it was widely used in stock car racing (back in the early days) before power steering was reliable enough for the track. This put less wear and tear on the driver.

Camber is the angle or difference between the steering axis at top and bottom as if the car were viewed head on. Negative= bottom sticks out more. Positive= top sticks out more. Negative camber is used to help with cornering. x amount of degrees equals neutral or 0 when the car is under hard cornering stress because the wheel wants to stand up straight.. How ever too much posite you could roll a tire off a rim or the wheel would want to tuck under the car causing it too roll.
Ihope this helps

good explanation, one mistake. positive caster is where the upper balljoint is behind the lower balljoint and not in front of it.

12-3-08017-1.jpg

12-3-08018-1.jpg

here are a couple of pictures I just snapped....I cant see these slots being used for adjusting caster....camber and possibly toe in/toe out, yes

ok i see. that slot is for camber and caster. you can tilt that control arm while in the slot to achieve your caster needed. those slots look like a good size for getting proper camber adjustment.

didnt heidts send you info about adjustment capability when they sent the kit?

the instructions for the kit are minimal and their "suggested" camber setting is +.5 degrees...however they dont actually say how to do it..(besides, positive camber isn't the best for handling).so I'm working from what I can see...poor instructions(though still good enough to install) but very good quality stuff from what I can see