So I Have To Get My Transmission Rebuilt

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
I talked to a mechanic that I know well and he suggested that my transmission was going and I should change the fluids. Took it to a place to empty the pan and they said that the transmission is probably too far along to save and showed me the silvery thicker liquid and that it was low.

To save a grand I recommend any and everyone keep up with there fluids. This isn't quite my fault, more of my moms from when she drove it and never having the fluid changed, ever.

They changed it and now my car runs smoothly, but if it doesn't last then I'll defiently take it to get it rebuilt.

Anyone else had there's rebuilt for a cheaper price with good quality(was quoted a 1000 for kit and labor on the spot)?

Purolator used to have a chart they put up in Autoparts stores called "The Forgotten Filters." Lack of transmission maintenance is extremely common these days. An automatic that is properly maintained and not abused will last almost forever.

$1000 is about right for a transmission rebuild. If that includes removal and reinstallation, then it's a steal.

Kurt

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't go through the hassle of hardened internals at this point. Those cost a fortune. If it's a stock or close to stock car, then don't spend the money. It's a good idea to put a transpack in it and make sure he puts a new torque converter in it. Torque converters hold all kinds of crap from the transmission, and even if you flush them out, they can pump all that material right back into a new transmission and ruin it again.

Kurt