so i just watched the bullitt chase scene for the first time

DarkoStoj

Founding Member
Sep 4, 2002
Detroit
that was awesome... and they are some GOOD ass drivers.

Makes me wanna go fire up my 66 and cruise around now...too bad my neighbors would kill me tommorow if I did since its 1:30am....long tubes with a 3" flowmaster exaust and a large solid cam don't make for the quietest car in the world :D

• Sponsors (?)

I just watched the original "Gone in 60 seconds" for the first time a couple weeks ago, I felt it was a waste of an hour and a half. Man, the driving was pretty decent, and knowing that it was all done with one car was very impressive, but I felt the acting and the way the story line was laid out was really weak. It was sorta like, I had made the movie, LOL!!

The original Gone in 60 is so bad it's good. The acting is terrible, the dialogue is lame and the production (maybe it was my crappy VHS copy) was terrible. It was a bit nostalgic for me because it's from the same era that produced the first 'adult art' films that I watched - twangy 70's guitar sound track, and biiiiiiig moustaches.

I'm getting old. I mentioned the Bullitt car chase to a 'car guy' at work the other day and he had no idea what I was talking about. This guy was in his early thirties. Now admittedly he drives a British MGB.

Classic car chase.........also note how many times McQueen and the bad guys overtake the green VW and the white Camaro.

chepsk8 said:
Did you count how many hubcaps the Charger lost? (5)

I think it is actually eight, isn't it?

If you can see the movie without commercial breaks, or at least the version not edited for content for American TV (I always feel ripped off when they still show that one), then you really feel the suspense building as the cars start with the methodically slow-paced cat and mouse game out of the parking lot and through the city, untill after what seems like an eternity, the hitmen in the charger buckle their seat belts signalling what's about to unfold.

They had planned the chase to be filmed at 60-80 mph and had a corvette modified as a camera car to keep up and ahead of the filming, however they wound up getting carried away and reached speeds of 120 mph.

I also didn’t see the movie until recently, and I have owned a 67 FB for 17+ years.

I bought the DVD and watched it for the first time a couple of years ago ‘cause I was told I had to.

When I stripped my car down for a paint job I noticed one of it’s previous colors had been green.
Now I know why.

There's loads of stuff on the web about Bullitt, and plenty about the supposed whereabouts of one of the original movie Mustangs.

Apparently, all that crashing through Frisco hammered the Mustang's front suspension clean through the top mounts.

Anyone see the Ford Puma advert about 10 years ago? I've never found it online, and was probably only screened over here, but they grafted Steve McQueen from the film into the little Puma. It rocked - probably the best advert ever, and you couldn't see the join.

BTW, McQueen did all of his own driving in that movie. He was also in a WWII movie where they were escaping from a POW camp in Germany. At the end of the movie, he steals a German motorcycle and tries to get out of the country as they chase him. Not only did he do all his own riding for that, he also did some of the German soldiers that were chasing him.

1320stang said:
BTW, McQueen did all of his own driving in that movie. He was also in a WWII movie where they were escaping from a POW camp in Germany. At the end of the movie, he steals a German motorcycle and tries to get out of the country as they chase him. Not only did he do all his own riding for that, he also did some of the German soldiers that were chasing him.
was that the great escape where he jumped over the fence?

the great escape is a great film :D Le Mans is another favorite of mine with Steve McQueen. excellent excellent racing movie :)

wasn't there a 2005 mustang commerical with mcqueen in it? in like a corn field representing 'field of dreams' or something? that was awesome.

I was talking with a 20-something just yesterday and told him it was a bad idea when another peron painted his (2001?) Bullet Mustang black. I said they should not be any color other than dark green and he statred at me blankly. He'd never seen the movie or questioned why the term was applied to the special edition Stangs.

Just more proof that we have failed in the education of the younger generation...sigh.