So I put a downpayment on a Ranger instead of the GTP Grand Prix

Vulcan was a god associated with metalurgy, IIRC. I wonder if that has any role in the name. :shrug:

I thought they were around 150 BHP (I looked into them at one point. I think I might again down the road).

• Sponsors (?)

This is the exact reason to buy one. I have an '01 with 65,000 trouble free miles on it. Only fluid changes and one front brake job... and it runs like it did new. I bought the truck new for $9,750 and can sell it now (6 years later) for about 5-6K!!! Great trucks and the 100 HP :nonono: will sure make you appreciate the mustang! :hail2:

Damn thats a good price. Did you buy one that had been left over on the lot?

how did it get the Vulcan name?

Sorry it took so long for me to get back on. Been really busy lately.

There are different "names" for engines, and some are based on the location that they are built. You have the Duratec, Yamaha, Essex, SHO, and Vulcan. Then Lima and Cologne for some other engine's used in Ranger's. I'm sure there are more, lol. ALL 3.0's in Ranger's are called the Vulcan. And let me tell you .... they can be some pingin' mofo's. But if your's does it, you CAN get rid of it. It very similar to our cars in that aspect.

Yes, it is named after the Roman god of iron & fireworking (as the engine is cast iron). LOL .... it didn't know that, though ..... until you guys piqued my interest & I did a little digging.

Another thing, I hope you're getting a manual. The auto's just kill the power. The M5OD-R2 is a good tranny.

P.S. Whipple Charger's are readily available.

P.S. Read all post scripts in the entire thread, lol.

Sorry it took so long for me to get back on. Been really busy lately.

There are different "names" for engines, and some are based on the location that they are built. You have the Duratec, Yamaha, Essex, SHO, and Vulcan. Then Lima and Cologne for some other engine's used in Ranger's. I'm sure there are more, lol. ALL 3.0's in Ranger's are called the Vulcan. And let me tell you .... they can be some pingin' mofo's. But if your's does it, you CAN get rid of it. It very similar to our cars in that aspect.

Yes, it is named after the Roman god of iron & fireworking (as the engine is cast iron). LOL .... it didn't know that, though ..... until you guys piqued my interest & I did a little digging.

Another thing, I hope you're getting a manual. The auto's just kill the power. The M5OD-R2 is a good tranny.

P.S. Whipple Charger's are readily available.

P.S. Read all post scripts in the entire thread, lol.

Very true about the pinging. My ranger was a 99 with the 3.0L, but I had the flex fuel motor not the regular unleaded. It pinged worse when I used cheap gas. I started to mix in some stuff into the gas tank. I believe it was called Lucas oil and fuel treatment?? I can check tomorrow when I go by the garage. When I started mixing in the stuff, the pinging would disapear as long as it was filled with 93 octane.

The 3.0 with a manual has enough power to get by. I pulled a few good size trailers with mine. I pulled a full car trailer with electric trailer brakes all the way to New England dragway from Bristol, R.I. It had it strugling times, but she did it like a champ.

Plus with the right tires, you can do some nice off-roading with it.

The only real damage had with it was a broken leaf spring on the drivers side, due to the trailer weight. I bought new leafs and also added a Super lift add-a-leaf, I used the long leaf.

Other than that, I had my truck for 2 years and I put 70,000 miles on it without any major repairs. It was by far the most reliable vehicle that i've owned so far. Lets see if my 02 explorer will be the same.

Any questions on your truck, check out these sites. I found them a bit usefull for info.

offroadrangers.com
ranger-forums.com
rangerpowersports.com

Good luck with the new truck.:nice:

Yes....:D I bet you a case of beer that you will have some type of aftermarket accessory on that truck within the first year of ownership. Gotta go past the first 6 months because those will be easy to not mod it.:D :D

Vic

Well now, that aint quite fair. :nono: :rlaugh: I think he meant powertrain-type mods (like HCI type stuff, blowers, etc). Of course some sort of aftermarket accessory will go on the truck - he's not neutered.

And we all put better parts on when something breaks (I would, even on a Yugo. It's common sense). Those should not be held against him either. :D

Just helping (maybe) get the rules laid out. :banana:

Yes....:D I bet you a case of beer that you will have some type of aftermarket accessory on that truck within the first year of ownership. Gotta go past the first 6 months because those will be easy to not mod it.:D :D

Vic

I posted way earlier that by "mods", I meant slamming, lifting, or adding power to the vehicle, mods along those lines....

in fact, come to think about it, you earlier Bolded those words, and that's what you replied to....:shrug:

I will not do a serious modification to that vehicle over the first year, guarantee
:nice:

Thanks Hissin for chiming in and helping me with that :lol:

Aaron.................your a punk azz........................You could be "white trash" with me........:rlaugh: I will let you slide...I had a 2000 extended cab....black with the same rims and tires that were on my jeep.....I do miss it sometimes....

BTW....it looks as if the office for that "little" dealership may fit in the bed of that Ranger.................hope it works for you............................................damn :canada: and two wheel drive trucks...:rlaugh: :hail2:

Aaron.................your a punk azz........................You could be "white trash" with me........:rlaugh: I will let you slide...I had a 2000 extended cab....black with the same rims and tires that were on my jeep.....I do miss it sometimes....

BTW....it looks as if the office for that "little" dealership may fit in the bed of that Ranger.................hope it works for you............................................damn :canada: and two wheel drive trucks...:rlaugh: :hail2:

haha, I tell ya Will, I'm on a never ending quest to be the ultimate redneck, having a pick up truck only brings me one step closer to my goal

The "office" is hilarious, 2 older gentleman with 2 desks that live in a nearby town...a town that spans less than a kilometer, and has a population of about 500 folks....it's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" towns

However, they've got some nice product there, mostly ex-leases that are in good shape. They also seem like they're willing to go the extra mile, which is something you don't see alot anymore...small town courtesy goes a long way around decent sized cities, and since this is the biggest city i've ever lived in, it's good to see a "down home" change of pace, even if it means going into a portable trailer for a dealership haha

I posted way earlier that by "mods", I meant slamming, lifting, or adding power to the vehicle, mods along those lines....

in fact, come to think about it, you earlier Bolded those words, and that's what you replied to....:shrug:

I will not do a serious modification to that vehicle over the first year, guarantee

Thanks Hissin for chiming in and helping me with that :lol:

hahaha. It was a joke anyways :D I think that I would get in trouble for trying to ship you a case of beer.LOL:rlaugh:

On another note. Good luck with it. There good little trucks.:nice:

haha, I tell ya Will, I'm on a never ending quest to be the ultimate redneck, having a pick up truck only brings me one step closer to my goal

The "office" is hilarious, 2 older gentleman with 2 desks that live in a nearby town...a town that spans less than a kilometer, and has a population of about 500 folks....it's one of those "blink and you'll miss it" towns

However, they've got some nice product there, mostly ex-leases that are in good shape. They also seem like they're willing to go the extra mile, which is something you don't see alot anymore...small town courtesy goes a long way around decent sized cities, and since this is the biggest city i've ever lived in, it's good to see a "down home" change of pace, even if it means going into a portable trailer for a dealership haha

coming from a town about the same size I totally understand.........sometimes it "is" the service "and" the product........times they are a changin'............I'll send you a manual to help with the redneck thing......I have been citified since 91 but I is still a redneck at heart.............1st thing you say to someone you when you meet them...............damn...........you sure got a purdy mouth...........lol

That is sick enough to be CT material, look what I got jammed with after 2 and a half years of trying to get "Ugliest Man On Stangnet"....

however, this monitor is a definite compensation for my genitals.

:eek:

Quick, where's Tim, Paul or Joe? That's sick enough to be CT material. :D

Now JT....................I didn't say anything about Ned Beatty squealing like a pig...............wheeeeeeeeee wheeeeeeeee.....wheeee............

I hear banjo's..........................two of them......................dueling.................

By the way.....Joe is in jail for trying to purchase C4 for his fireworks.............PYRO......:rlaugh:

Good purchase. I have a 98 4x4 3.0 5spd.. And love it.. Its kinda not powerful at all.. BUt every saturday I tow 30miles to my riding spot.. a 500lbs quad and 350lbs quad on a all steel 2 quad trailer :) soo it does good!..

Track002-1.jpg

truck018.jpg

I love it.. I wanted to keep it stock too when I got it.. dident last long.. theres a thing called looking at pics of other ones modded up.. and your done lol

Well, I learned that although I won't be crazy to mod this thing, that I probably will go picture crazy for a while

Went out and took some pics tonight at the car lot, since the guys are still enjoying christmas holidays...figured I could get some better ones than the few that were posted with the ad itself

RangerPicsJan12007021.jpg

RangerPicsJan12007013.jpg

RangerPicsJan12007003.jpg

RangerPicsJan12007017.jpg

RangerPicsJan12007027.jpg

RangerPicsJan12007018.jpg

and here's Ange and Tron....just because it was in the same folder. Tron is not dead. He's sleeping. :)

RangerPicsJan12007001.jpg

something tells me she wasn't happy at what she was watching....:rlaugh:

but on the serious side................since they are not open get me the engine and trans out of the green gm beside the ranger..................:rolleyes: