So the car I JUST bought is already ****ing up on me...need serious help

ocelot

Sep 18, 2004
Just my luck...I go from one disaster car to another...Anyways, here's whats going on:

Basically I buy the car two days ago and its shifting fine and all, then towards the end of the same night, the clutch starts chattering whenever its engaged. It didn't bother me at first, but then it started getting hard to shift into first gear and reverse sometimes. Reverse was being a bitch most of the time, and every once in a long while it would take like 3 tries to get into first gear.

Forward to yesterday, and it seems like it's getting harder to shift into random gears sometimes, but still especially first and reverse, sometimes it would take me like 5 tries before getting it into first gear because I had to try and keep jamming it in at different angles. The car has a short shifter so I figured it might just suck and I planned on removing it today.

So now today, I get out of my class and the car WILL NOT go into reverse, and there was a car in front of me. I tried easing it in, jamming it in, nothing, so I turn the car off, and when the car is off I can shift into gears fine. I started the car back up, and with a lot of force finally get it into reverse and leave. The way home was total HELL because I couldn't shift into first anywhere, and there are lots of red lights on the way home. It got to the point where I couldn't shift into any gear at all when the car was at a stop, so I had to turn off the car, put it in first with the clutch in, and start it that way. Once I was in first gear, it was hell getting it into second or third.

Another thing that was happening was when I was at a stop, and had the clutch in trying to get it into first, when I was applying lots of force trying to get it into first gear, the car would roll forward a bit, but not go fully into gear.

So is my clutch screwed up? Transmission problem? I got ****ed over with this car so i'm a little aggrivated now. Also another thing, the clutch pedal is REALLY hard, like it takes a lot of force to get it down all the way, i'm not sure if that's got anything to do with it. Can anyone help me out PLEASE?

• Sponsors (?)

ok great... how many milesssssss... whats it gotttttt....

you know... like DETAILS.

did you do anyting to the car, did you drop the clutch, do u abuse the car...

the truth helps and no1 will knock u for it...

when u shift and you have no aftermarket shifter, do you JAM the gears in? if so, you may have BENT your shift fork because you dont have stops.

One Wicked SVT said:
ok great... how many milesssssss... whats it gotttttt....

you know... like DETAILS.

did you do anyting to the car, did you drop the clutch, do u abuse the car...

the truth helps and no1 will knock u for it...

90k miles, exhaust, intake, short shifter. Didn't do anything to the car except drive it a bit aggressively, but that was only while in gear, since I got the car two days ago I haven't dumped the clutch or even taken it up to redline. What does this matter anyways? I figured the first long ass post covered mostly everything in the problem.

There could be different reasons of a hard clutch pedal. See if this helps narrow it down.
http://www.euro-drive.com/hard_pedal.htm
It sounds like things are sucking right now. But I have the opinion that if anything breaks on my Stang, it is just a good excuse to buy a high performance part, like a new clutch for example. The great thing about these cars it the sheer amount of parts and the prices are good. But I hear you, a car f***in' up sucks worse than a turbo charged Hoover vacuum. Good luck!

One Wicked SVT said:
when u shift and you have no aftermarket shifter, do you JAM the gears in? if so, you may have BENT your shift fork because you dont have stops.

I didn't ever jam them in until I was forced to jam them in because they werent going at all. I got the car checked out by a mechanic before buying it, and he mentioned something about the dust cover being off of the shift fork. Maybe it was screwed up and the guy decided not to mention it before I bought it?

BaconBits said:
There could be different reasons of a hard clutch pedal. See if this helps narrow it down.
http://www.euro-drive.com/hard_pedal.htm
It sounds like things are sucking right now. But I have the opinion that if anything breaks on my Stang, it is just a good excuse to buy a high performance part, like a new clutch for example. The great thing about these cars it the sheer amount of parts and the prices are good. But I hear you, a car f***in' up sucks worse than a turbo charged Hoover vacuum. Good luck!

Normally I wouldn't mind spending a weeks pay getting a new clutch and all, but the problem here is that I just spent all my money on buying this thing and i'm in school for the summer and I can't find a job around here that will hire me since I can't work any of the hours they want me to.

One Wicked SVT said:
it matters...

that way we know what may be a problem, other than the driver.

does the shifter move fine? no play?

what is AGGRESSIVELY?

When the car is turned off I can shift the gears completely fine like they should be. When the car is on, I can no longer put it into any gear unless I start with the car in gear with the clutch in. Aggressively is just me getting on the gas every once and a while, not shifting hard from a stop or even shifting hard between gears.

something that came to mind might be one of two things.... if its not going into gear it might be that the clutch cable is stretched, or quadrent is bent... this would cause the clutch to not fully disengage when hte pedal is depressed. might want to drop the 100 on a new OEM cable, clutch quadrent, and firewall adjuster. i think this might be my issue (similer but not as severe as yours) and its a cheap way instead of 400+ for a new flywheel+clutch+bearings.

also, i would take the shift boot off and see what kind of shifter; 5.0, hurst, tri-ax, etc. if its a tri-ax or 5.0 i would definatly leave it on.

Torinalth

I think it's an issue within the tranny, and not the shifter. If you say it shifts fine when the engine is off, it makes me think that something is a mess inside all those parts that are in action when the transmission is running. Maybe not the shifter fork but the collar/ dog teeth that actually put the car into gear :shrug:

ACSPONY said:
I think it's an issue within the tranny, and not the shifter. If you say it shifts fine when the engine is off, it makes me think that something is a mess inside all those parts that are in action when the transmission is running. Maybe not the shifter fork but the collar/ dog teeth that actually put the car into gear :shrug:

granted i'm no mechanic, but if there was something wrong with the tranny in that manner wouldnt it not shift in at all, on or off? if it shifts fine while off, though it will not when running this would ellude to a clutch type issue; this either being the clutch, fork, cable, quadrent relation. again i could be wrong, but this is just how i see it.

Torinalth