So... what would u do if you bought what should have been Saleen's SA10 #4

Goodson

Apr 2, 2004
I posted this over at the Corral and just haven't made time to post it here. Like me, some of you regularly visit a particular site. I haven't posted much here in a while because life has taken off with family and work. I'm very excited about this project and hope to get it close to done by the 50th anniversary show. We'll see.

Check out Saleen SA10 - SA10 Info for details and updates.

I did get to drive SA10 #2 and #8 two weekends ago at a show. Words can't describe being able to do that. The owners were so cool!

• Sponsors (?)

Build it up as close to accurate as possible, and if you get super lucky go and meet Steve Saleen, he might just make it official. We had a guy on our local forum who built a new edge close that was so close, Steve gave it an official number and certification of authenticity.

Build it up as close to accurate as possible, and if you get super lucky go and meet Steve Saleen, he might just make it official. We had a guy on our local forum who built a new edge close that was so close, Steve gave it an official number and certification of authenticity.

Definately. Maybe even contact Saleen and explain what you've got and what the plan is, and Steve might even help you out.(with the build info)

Wow! I need to update my settings here. Didn't get any emails on these responses.

"Why no number six?" Saleen never used the #6 in production. Many many rumors as to why but they never used #6 on any car. That's 06. They did use 26,36...etc. It was by mistake in the first year of production that #6 wasn't used on a car. From that point forward it was never used. As to why it wasn't used in 1985, no one really knows. Some say the #6 was used as a 9 and others say #6 wasn't ordered for numbers. Either way, it was never used as long as Steve was over the company. SPV (Saleen Performance Vehicles) did use the number 6 on a car after Steve left the company in 07.

"Saleen verifying the car". The car is verified though the VIN because it was ordered with the other 9 cars and the VIN's are all sequential. I've chatted with Liz and as of right now they won't add the car to the registry and really can't since they have no part in the Saleen company anymore. I know... weird. And there's so many crazy things that surround that. Not worth explaining. The car has ben recognized as "Number 4" and both Steve and Liz have said they would sign off on it being that. Because it is. The VIN tells the whole story. But it won't be added to the registry. I'm just trying to get all the paperwork to back that up. So far it's coming together.

The car will be EXACTLY as if it were built by Saleen Performance in 1994. I have all the original parts going in it and if they aren't original, they'll be period correct pieces (like the seats). The cool thing about it is that I get to pick and choose the options on it like I was ordering it. The challenge is finding all the parts from the catalog. Luckily most of the parts are still being made by the companies that made them for Saleen.

Dave, what links aren't working brotha? I'll see what I can do. Sometimes the site gets more traffic than it can handle. It really get a ton of traffic. More than I expected.

Goodson,

I read all through the website, that's an awesome project!!! I read the part where you said you walked in a shop and saw your first SA-10, I don't know if it's an SA-10 as its been years and years since seeing it but was this the mustang "salvage style" place in East TN?

Yes it is one of many places that do that in East TN. The place is in Kodak but there's another place that was much larger than it just 5 miles away. The guy who owns the shop had just purchased the car a few years before and it was on display at his shop. It's no longer there as it is too valuable to keep on display.

Got to drive it to a show two weekends ago and it did great for the 500 mile round trip. Put up a couple pics of the car in its current shape. I've done all kinds of work to it and it doesn't look like I've done much. A testament to how bad the wiring was. I did clean the engine bay a little bit the other day. That made a big difference.

Picked up a Saleen intake correct for the car. Going to swap that out this winter along with the suspension and brakes. Next thing on the docket is having the ladder subframes put in.

The pedal assembly came from that very shop you mentioned Dave. What a difference that makes when you can modulate the clutch pedal to release the clutch. The day the car was purchased the car had to be shut off, put in gear, and then started. Shifting gears in it was a bear until now.