Progress Thread SoFlo5-0 builds a 5.7 (347, that is)

SoFlo5-0

Aug 24, 2016
Miami, FL
Hi, Don here (SoFlo5-0). Glad to be a new member of this forum. I picked up a 1991 Titanium Frost LX coupe last year because I wanted a car to tinker with on the weekends and, well, I missed driving Mustangs. I've owned a 1966 Fastback (swapped in a 351W), a '74 Mustang II 'Mach I' (no, I'm not proud of that...), a 1979 Turbo Coupe, a 2017 GT and a 2019 10 spd GT which I traded for a Ranger pickup truck 2 years ago (long story).

Of course, because I've modified EVERY car I've ever owned, my plan for just driving the LX around and acknowledging the 'thumbs-up' of discerning car aficionados was doomed to failure.
I'm sure many of you are like me in that I can't enjoy a car unless I 'put my stink on it', as my son likes to say. As cool as the stock LX was - it wasn't MINE. I had zero sweat, $$$, and bleeding knuckles invested in the car so it felt like a rental. Like something I'd borrowed.

I thought making a few superficial mods would do the trick, but it soon became apparent that I needed to do something drastic to 'Make It Mine'. So, promises to my wife that I wasn't gonna mod this car notwithstanding, I stripped out the rear diff, all the suspension, and pulled the 5.0 engine and T-5.

I'm going to start assembly of my 347 stroker (thanks to the fine folks at FordStrokers.com) as soon as the block gets out of the machine shop. I'll be updating this page with pics as the process goes forward. I'll probably have more questions than those that I'll be able to answer, but feel free to offer tips and advice and ask about anything you're curious about.
Towing to FL.jpg
Tear Down 1.JPG
Engine Out.jpg
Jackstands.jpg

Reactions: 5 users
  • Sponsors (?)

5.586311 L is more accurate, but will not fit in the right font size on the fender.
Since the 5.0 emblems will not be accurate anyway, consider good mufflers and 2.3 emblems. That will confuse the 4.0 driving kids.

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha, thanks. ;) It was the first New Car I ever bought. Solid lifter V6 to which I bolted on an Offenhauser intake and a Holley 2bbl with Hooker Hedders. Been modding ever since.

My first car was a 78 Ghia with the same V6. Pretty peppy for the time. A friend of mine test drove a blue hatch with the V6 and a 4 speed, said it was really fun for a 6. He almost bought it, but by time he got back to the dealer it had already been sold. :shrug:

My first car was a 78 Ghia with the same V6. Pretty peppy for the time. A friend of mine test drove a blue hatch with the V6 and a 4 speed, said it was really fun for a 6. He almost bought it, but by time he got back to the dealer it had already been sold. :shrug:
Bummer. Yeah, it was pretty peppy. It woke up a little more with the mods I did, but it mostly just got waaaay louder!

Welcome aboard, from a fellow SoFlo Mustang addict! I'm jealous man, that is one clean fox!! Mine will need body work before I can do anything fun to it. Cool build, keep us posted
Thanks, Qwk88LX. Like the Mustang in your avatar. I traded the one in the pic below for a 2019 Ford Ranger FX4. Miss it often.
Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 10.43.19 AM.png

Thanks, Qwk88LX. Like the Mustang in your avatar. I traded the one in the pic below for a 2019 Ford Ranger FX4. Miss it often.
Thanks man. I'm a fan of orange fury on black wheels. Now you have a stang and a truck, which is always useful. I like what Ford did with the new ranger, looks good & I'm guessing it drives well with the 10-speed

You should be.

Are you sure you're not proud of it?

Just givin' ya a little hell. You'll find out Stangnet actually has the largest active Mustang II community outside of Facebook, and that most of us II guys (including myself and @LILCBRA have or have had other Mustangs (Three foxes, three IIs, and 2 S197s myself, for some insane reason I'm trying to combine the best parts of all three into a '75 Ghia coupe these days) and participate across most, if not all of the forum as a result.
Found this old, grainy picture of my Blue II - bent CB antenna and all.

Attachments

• Mustang II.jpg
    Mustang II.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: 1 users
Cracka please. :rlaugh:
I had a 10'whip CB antenna on the quarter panel of a 69 mach 1. There will never be a picture of that atrocity posted anywhere.
THAT would something to be "ashamed" of as long as nobody had to see it.
Having a MII with something similar would be reason to change your identity, and go into hiding.

Ok, back on track! Let's let everyone live and let live..... ;)

Whatcha doing to the 347? I know it's not just gonna be a rotating assembly upgrade and leave everything else alone. We all know that's not how it works.... :D

• Winner