Solid or Hydralic flat tappet for my 351W?

Bigstang1

Founding Member
Aug 28, 2002
Massachusettes
Hello again. I ended up buying the 300 running 351w from the junkyard and am beginning to plan the motor buildup. Im gonna build it with somwhere between 11:1 and 12:1 comp. with forged pistons. The biggest decision i am faced with here is my type of cam. Should i go hyd. or mechanical? Keep in mind this is not a roller cam its a flat tappet. This is my daily driver in the summer also. i know the solid valvetrain has to be adjusted every now and again but exactly how often?I dont mind every 2 or 3 oil changes but every week would be retarded. Are there any other drivability problems with this type of cam? Anyone ever had a street car with one? I know a guy who used to have an elcamino 396 with a solid cam and i know it sounding mean as hell and the car was very fast. Any and all opinions are apprieciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

I know several people with solid cams, most flat tappet. They say that a few times a year, but not often at all. Before hydrolic lifters when all cars had flat solid tappet it was about every 15K or so form what some of the old folks told me.

Yeah, about 15k. A solid flat cam is the way to go. A solid roller is sweet, but it is about $600 more than the flat solid.

Flat solid = $400, Roller Solid = $1000. Talking cam, lifters, springs, pushrods.

Take a look at my vid and my sig. You cant beat a 351 with a nice cam. Very simple to make run strong.

hllon4whls said:
Yeah, about 15k. A solid flat cam is the way to go. A solid roller is sweet, but it is about $600 more than the flat solid.

Flat solid = $400, Roller Solid = $1000. Talking cam, lifters, springs, pushrods.

Take a look at my vid and my sig. You cant beat a 351 with a nice cam. Very simple to make run strong.

Watched your vid, NICE!!!