Someone with an auto - tell me what the SCT Xcal2 can really do??

Founding Member
Jan 29, 2002
Broke
Right now I have a 4 program JMS autologic chip. Its old and I think JMS moved to superchips ages ago.

Anyway, my shift points and pressures arent great since my shift kit went in and I got the chip before i had many mods at all. I really want to be able to adjust part throttle shift positions and it'd be nice to tweak my own A/F based on dyno data. Just what can it do?

• Sponsors (?)

You'll get to adjust the full range of part throttle shift points and torque converter lock/unlock schedule using Extreme Tune software (a free download). You'll also get to adjust the shift pressure for each shift at light, medium and heavy throttle. The a/f changes are also simplified into three sliders. Idle, Part Throttle and Full Throttle. Not quite the complete point by point adjustability but good enough.

Download Extreme Tune from www.sctflash.com. Then scan their forum for a sample XTR file for an automatic trans Mustang. Then play with it.

Cant you actually get a dyno tune onto the XCAL or something like that? That would be a huge bonus because then I could get the dyno tune and still play with shift schedule etc myself...??????

Thanks for your help guys.

007 said:
Cant you actually get a dyno tune onto the XCAL or something like that? That would be a huge bonus because then I could get the dyno tune and still play with shift schedule etc myself...??????

Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah the xcal2 can be used with dyno tunes.. just go to a SCT dealer and they can dyno tune your car and load that onto the xcal2... then you can play with the user adjustability with the xtreme tune software.

svttech76 said:
Yeah the xcal2 can be used with dyno tunes.. just go to a SCT dealer and they can dyno tune your car and load that onto the xcal2... then you can play with the user adjustability with the xtreme tune software.

Thats awesome. Exactly what I need! A dyno tune and then the ability to tweak shifting without going back to the tuner.

Its a real full rpm dyno tune though right? I just wont have much tuning ability from that point which is fine as long as the dyno tune is really good.

We dynotune directly with XCal 2's all the time, then give the owners the 'll3 files so they can have them. Then they can tweak them on the handheld itself. Xtreme tune is SCT's older technology. The latest technology is making adjustments right on the XCal 2. That said, the adjustments are really limited in either Xtreme tune or on the device. I say that, because in comparison to what us dealers can do, it only allows small changes. The key here is to get a really good base tune on the dyno - and especially for the transmission because transmission tuning is the hardest part of tuning. Then you can make small tweaks to shift points and line pressure (although most tuners on some cars max out line pressure at WOT shifts anyway).
Don

Don 95Vert said:
We dynotune directly with XCal 2's all the time, then give the owners the 'll3 files so they can have them. Then they can tweak them on the handheld itself. Xtreme tune is SCT's older technology. The latest technology is making adjustments right on the XCal 2. That said, the adjustments are really limited in either Xtreme tune or on the device. I say that, because in comparison to what us dealers can do, it only allows small changes. The key here is to get a really good base tune on the dyno - and especially for the transmission because transmission tuning is the hardest part of tuning. Then you can make small tweaks to shift points and line pressure (although most tuners on some cars max out line pressure at WOT shifts anyway).
Don

Thanks. At this point I think my line pressure is too much. Part throttle shifts while cornering spin the wheels briefly which makes the back end swing out. Pretty dangerous if you arent ready for it.
Looks like I'll call Dez Racing and see about dyno tuning the baseline of the xcal2.

Don 95Vert said:
Anything you can do with a chip, you can do with an XCal2 - and the XCal 2 is the best Ford datalogger in the world.

Thanks for your help. I'm going to get one and dyno tune it at my local mustang shop. Awesome! Thanks!

I don't see anything in your sig that would require a dyno tune. No doubt you could get a few more horses out of a dyno tune. It might not be worth the expense. But hey, it's your money after all. I just don't see it as being a worthwhile expense at this point. You could just get an Xcal2 and do your transmission adjustments on your own. When you get a power adder later, then get the dyno tune. The dyno shop would put the tune into your car and into your Xcal2 so you can continue to tweak stuff later, if needed.

I'm with you. Its not neccessary to dyno tune but i might anyway.

At this point I'm paying off the car, doing the roll cage, racing seats, rear seat delete/stereo work and then a tranny swap. The blower is a few years off (I'm sticking with this car for a long time) and theres no more bolt ons to do. If the dyno tune gets me 5-10 more ponies here or there in the curve I'll do it for the 300 dollar fee. I've bought 300 dollar bolt ons for the same gains, and it'll be nice to get some dyno results and get the most out of my mods for the next few years. I havent had a dyno in ages.

I just bought my Xcal2 from John Lund and got a base street tune for 93 octane. I told him all my mods (intake, TB/Plenum, longtubes, hi-flow cats, flows) which isn't really much, and he modified the tune accordingly. He's never seen my car and it didn't go to a dyno, but it woke up the car dramatically. I only made 230hp at the wheels after those mods without a tune. I'm betting I'm at 250 at least now.

Plus you can change up the AFR and timing as well. After I initially flashed my car, I got some pinging under full load in 3rd and 4th. Adding a bit more fuel in the WOT A/F got rid of the problem, after which I was able to add a bit more timing. Also fixed my speedo from 3.73s and my traction control is always off now. Its a wonderful tool and def. worth the money.

Don 95Vert said:
Anything you can do with a chip, you can do with an XCal2 - and the XCal 2 is the best Ford datalogger in the world.
Does it have cool real time digital guages?
calmon2.jpg

That's a joke BTW.

Attachments

• calmon2.jpg
    calmon2.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 75
007 said:
I'm with you. Its not neccessary to dyno tune but i might anyway.

At this point I'm paying off the car, doing the roll cage, racing seats, rear seat delete/stereo work and then a tranny swap. The blower is a few years off (I'm sticking with this car for a long time) and theres no more bolt ons to do. If the dyno tune gets me 5-10 more ponies here or there in the curve I'll do it for the 300 dollar fee. I've bought 300 dollar bolt ons for the same gains, and it'll be nice to get some dyno results and get the most out of my mods for the next few years. I havent had a dyno in ages.
That's cool. I totally understand. I like immediate gratification from mods too. I hate buying one mod and waiting for another mod months later to enjoy both of them. Just remember you'll need another dyno tune when the blower gets here.