Soon(ish) Fan Controller Install

JordanB21

Feb 6, 2012
Killeen, Texas
Hey, all. I had a huge thread about my CCRM going out not too long ago, and it turned out to be the wires. Well now this is just a brief(ish) thread on the harness I got, and the install I'm going to attempt to do, to the best of my knowledge. Being that I'm still a newb at the whole wiring thing.

Kit I went with: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flx-31165
Here are some pics of whats in the box!
The Box and Label
IMG_0322.JPG

The Bits and Pieces
IMG_0325.JPG

40 Amp In line fuse holder
IMG_0327.JPG

All The wires! weeee
IMG_0328.JPG

And fianlly the Control unit, relay is rated to 45 amps, perfect for the stock fan!
IMG_0326.JPG

Oh and I have no idea what those blue pieces are, not the crimps, the other things

Not sure where I'm going to get Key on 12v, and I really rather not hook the fuse up directly to the battery, since that would look kind of ugly, but we'll see. Any suggestions are welcome.

99FiveOh
HISSIN50
to the two main guys who helped me, thanks, and this is what I went with:p

• Sponsors (?)

Good luck! Wiring is not an area where a lot of people choose to venture on their cars. I believe those blue pieces are a type of solderless crimp which doesn't require tools. I remember using them a while back, but I don't remember what for.

I made my own fan controller with a 40A relay and most of the wires in your kit. I'm guessing it's a universal kit you purchased. I'll see if I can dig up pictures of it installed. It was installed back in 2004 and many of my pictures were hosted on mustangmods.com which is no longer in service.

Good luck! Wiring is not an area where a lot of people choose to venture on their cars. I believe those blue pieces are a type of solderless crimp which doesn't require tools. I remember using them a while back, but I don't remember what for.
I've done a bit of things, stereo install (felt like a pro after that!), and electrical repairs on my Foxbody. This is just a bit deeper than what I've done in before. So it's fun to learn, assuming it all goes well.
I made my own fan controller with a 40A relay and most of the wires in your kit. I'm guessing it's a universal kit you purchased. I'll see if I can dig up pictures of it installed. It was installed back in 2004 and many of my pictures were hosted on mustangmods.com which is no longer in service.
Yeah it's a universal flex-a-lite kit meant for single fans. But link the thread to me, ill check it out. Sucks bout the pictures though.

I see two types of blue pieces. There are blue butt connectors to connect two wire ends together, and there are blue wire taps. The wire taps allow you to tap into the electrical current of another wire without cutting it. You pop your new wire into the inside end, and then put the other side over the existing wire. Then you mash that metal spade down in the middle with a pair of pliers. The metal spade goes through the insulation and creates a circuit between the new and the old wire. Then the little plastic flap closes over it to cover the exposed end of the metal spade.

Kurt

On those piggyback connectors Kurt just described:
They are a bit unreliable, and most folks prefer to solder, but if you are going to use them, just install them meticulously and then insulate them well. If the top flap pops open, you have an electrically 'hot' chunk of metal exposed to the world. Also, those connectors are even less protected from the elements than crimp type connectors, so sealing them up will prolong the viability of the connection and slow corrosion.
I squeeze a dab of silicone in the ends, and then wrap a bit of electrical tape around it to keep the top flap from coming open. I mainly do them this way because these things come in handy for wiring repairs to tow vehicles and trailers, under the vehicles in a hostile environment.

"Rated to 45 amps"

Be careful... The stock fan has a 60a fuse, and that generally tells you that any component used to run it should be rated for 60a.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Now, if you intend to use this setup to trigger a 60a+ relay that will power the fan, then that's cool.
Something else I learned that you may or may not be able to use:
It is safer to run 'hot' wires directly to an accessory, without interruption, and use a relay to trigger the accessory via the ground circuit.

Again... I am not especially electronic saavy, so if I am wrong, someone please correct me.

Darn it... Sorry for yet another post, but I meant to ask you, what was wrong with the wiring in your car?
I am having a fan failure issue right now, and it turns out that what I thought was the CCRM, is not, and I have not tracked down any "bad" wires yet. It is starting to look like a deeper failure, possibly the ECM. If yours is just wires, what made you elect to not just repair wires? Not knocking what you are doing at all, just curious as to the thought process. You may have thought of something that will help me get my fan going again.

I see two types of blue pieces. There are blue butt connectors to connect two wire ends together, and there are blue wire taps. The wire taps allow you to tap into the electrical current of another wire without cutting it. You pop your new wire into the inside end, and then put the other side over the existing wire. Then you mash that metal spade down in the middle with a pair of pliers. The metal spade goes through the insulation and creates a circuit between the new and the old wire. Then the little plastic flap closes over it to cover the exposed end of the metal spade.

Kurt
Thanks, that's actually really cool!
They are a bit unreliable, and most folks prefer to solder, but if you are going to use them, just install them meticulously and then insulate them well. If the top flap pops open, you have an electrically 'hot' chunk of metal exposed to the world. Also, those connectors are even less protected from the elements than crimp type connectors, so sealing them up will prolong the viability of the connection and slow corrosion.
I squeeze a dab of silicone in the ends, and then wrap a bit of electrical tape around it to keep the top flap from coming open. I mainly do them this way because these things come in handy for wiring repairs to tow vehicles and trailers, under the vehicles in a hostile environment.
I was going off of what someone said in my previous thread, about my CCRM failure quoting from this thread http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/fan-spins-intermittently.862237/

You'll need at least a 40 amp relay to operate the stock fan. That 30 amp setup in your link will eventually melt down. The 40 amp relay that we already have is really too small for this application, but it does last 15 years on average so I'd say it's ok.
So I went with what he said. If you do go this route, I would shoot for a 50 amp, I went 45 because I didn't see a 50 and it was good enough for me. :p (and that 30amp relay he's referring to was the initial fan controller I was considering buying till he said something).

Darn it... Sorry for yet another post, but I meant to ask you, what was wrong with the wiring in your car?
I am having a fan failure issue right now, and it turns out that what I thought was the CCRM, is not, and I have not tracked down any "bad" wires yet. It is starting to look like a deeper failure, possibly the ECM. If yours is just wires, what made you elect to not just repair wires? Not knocking what you are doing at all, just curious as to the thought process. You may have thought of something that will help me get my fan going again.
You should go over my thread page to page, if you're sure it isn't the CCRM, run jumpers to the fan and test it. If the fan spins then I would then test the temperature probe located on the passenger side front of the lower manifold. If that works out too, then you could be me and come up with bad wires. I decided it was the wires being compromised because I was getting 12v at the fan on high speed and low speed (whichever was meant to be on) and I tested the ground by grounding the wire. I just decided it would be easier to say that the fan isn't getting enough amps through the poor old wires and it wasn't spinning the fan. I also tested a ford tarus fan that was smaller and it didn't spin, but spun with jumpers.
I went through some extensive testing (extensive as in a lot of different tests, multiple times) and called it fubar.
I couldn't tell you if it's the ECM or not though.
And finally I chose this route rather than repairing the old harness because I wasn't certain which wires were bad, the ground going from the CCRM to the fan, or the 12v or all or what. I then decided I rather shell out the 100 dollars for a clean aftermarket option and tuck the rest with zip ties.

So ultimately, just go over that thread, and it 'should' lead you to your answer. It was recommended to either go aftermarket for better security, or the possibility of going stock again with a new(used) stock harness which is a lot of work.

I the difference between our two cases is that I had 12volts at the fan, and you don't. So I had power, just not strong enough I guess

Thanks for the advice, the silicone sounds like a good idea. I figured I need them for the key on 12v and if I decide to wire it to the fan or not I would need the other.

I've never had practice with soldering (sadly, though we have a solder gun around here somewhere), crimps and a good pair of crimpers is all I have:p

Reactions: 1 user
I don't come in Talk much so I missed this one. How did the install go?

I would not use any crimp connectors on the power side of the wiring (feed from the battery or feed to the fan). They're ok for the control-side wiring if done well.

For tapping, I prefer the 3M scotchlok t-taps.

Those tap connectors used to be pretty good. Unfortunately they are all made in China now, and it's the quality of the metal that leads to corrosion problems. I have always been a solder junky.

Kurt

Those tap connectors used to be pretty good. Unfortunately they are all made in China now, and it's the quality of the metal that leads to corrosion problems. I have always been a solder junky.

Kurt
I actually like to solder very much, but it never works for me...
I either burn stuff up, or the solder doesn't stick.
It's very frustrating, because I have the tools, but not the patience/knowledge or whatever.
I can braze pretty well, and my job requires me to braze diamond impregnated alloys to steel with silver from time to time, and I have gotten good at that. Don't ask me to solder or sweat copper though, you'll end up cleaning up my mess!

I can't stick weld for beans either, but I am pretty good with a gas/wire feed welder.
I have always wanted to try a TIG, but if that goes as well as my solder, I'll have a TIG machine sitting in a corner collecting dust.
I got so disgusted trying to stick weld, I sold off that welder out of frustration.

I've had the best luck with the cheapo $7 pencil looking soldering iron from Walmart. I twist my wires together, lay the exposed wire on top of the tip of the soldering pencil, give it a few seconds, then touch the solder to it. Sometimes it takes a little longer after contact for the solder to melt, but when it does, it seeps right in.

Joe

I actually like to solder very much, but it never works for me...
I either burn stuff up, or the solder doesn't stick.
It's very frustrating, because I have the tools, but not the patience/knowledge or whatever.
I can braze pretty well, and my job requires me to braze diamond impregnated alloys to steel with silver from time to time, and I have gotten good at that. Don't ask me to solder or sweat copper though, you'll end up cleaning up my mess!

I can't stick weld for beans either, but I am pretty good with a gas/wire feed welder.
I have always wanted to try a TIG, but if that goes as well as my solder, I'll have a TIG machine sitting in a corner collecting dust.
I got so disgusted trying to stick weld, I sold off that welder out of frustration.

I think anything you do repetitively you get good at. Soldering takes patience. More patience then most people have I think.

Kurt

I don't come in Talk much so I missed this one. How did the install go?

I would not use any crimp connectors on the power side of the wiring (feed from the battery or feed to the fan). They're ok for the control-side wiring if done well.

For tapping, I prefer the 3M scotchlok t-taps.
The install is still on going here are some pictures.
I would've liked to of not used crimp connectors at all, but I really didn't have a way. The crimps are temporairy actually, once my mom's boyfriend gets back (he does electrical work on helicopters as a contractor) from Honduras it will all be soldered together and done without connectors. Right now it has to get back on the road because I can't keep driving my mom's mazda 6, not that I like to.

Here is the control module resting in the engine bay underneath the air intake (fits perfectly).
IMG_0348.JPG

The fuse holder is mounted on the fan shroud by the original CCRM. And then here is the temperature probe which I was considering swapping out for a threaded, probably more accurate, sensor in the future.
IMG_0350.JPG

What's left is to tap a line for key-on power (still don't know where I'm going to tap it at, suggestions please!). And I'm going to go to a salvage yard on monday to pull a stock fan connector to crimp on to the power side of the relay, this way I avoid cutting into my stock harness at all. Well other than the single tap I need to do.
Since it's regulated by temperature I decided I really don't need the a/c high speed fan out put.

On a side note I took off my donkey penis, so hello 5 more horsepower and slightly better fuel economy but I 'probably' should replace this K&N air filter too....
IMG_0351.JPG

Aren't these suppose to be red??

On my Dc Controller, I used the 12 volt feed to the low coolant light. It's the same sort of circuit as yours (I think). On my controller, anytime the circuit is hot, the controller will work. So there's no real draw, but just monitoring going on. If I moved my wire to the battery, my controller would work at all times.

Anyhow, if that isnt copacetic, the easy way to do it is just as Mr Tim described. :nice: You could use a fuse in the underhood box that's also switched (something like the 25 amp ignition/audio fuse looks promising). Here's your underhood fusebox BTW.
Another alternative: CCRM Pin 13 should be key and crank only hot (check with your meter).

Good luck bud.

And please either update the thread or PM me with how you like the controller. I keep a mental tab of what works for whom and such feedback tailors my hearsay posts about other controllers.
And here's hissin to the rescue, from 2007!:D
I'll be getting my 12v key on from pin 13 after testing that it's good. This made it much easier. So Wednesday is the finish product where the car should function properly.