Sooo.... I busted my T5 tonight

WhiteDevil

Feb 4, 2003
San Diego
I just finished putting in my performance distributors ignition kit, and i went over to my friends to chill. I was on my way back and there is a long on ramp to get onto the 15 freeway. I hammered it in 2nd and i slammed 3rd and i heard a pop and then i nailed the revv limiter. I knew right then i was ****ed. i pulled off and then i decided to see if any of the gears worked. Well 1st, 2nd, 5th, and R work but thats it. So what should i do now? Im not sure what to do because i dont have that much cash. I could buy a used T5 for cheap maybe but that is lame cause then i cant hammer it any more. I could do a Gforce kit or TKO swap. I dont know what to do. Help me guys, what do you think i broke, any help would b great. :(

• Sponsors (?)

As you know, 3rd is the weakest gear, John. sorry to hear that.

do you want to rebuild it yourself? D&D has the goods (as does Hanlon - i know Hanlon has the video too). the manual is online in PDF if you want to read about it (i have some info and links saved if interested. Actually, Jrichker has a nice standard post with the goods too).

good luck with it. :nice:

Rebuild kit = $160

Gears = ~$80 each

Cluster gear is the biggie if you damaged it ~$300

The Hanlon video is excellent, but you have to have the tools - good snap ring pliers and access to a hydraulic press.

if you get the hanlon video, you should have no trouble rebuilding it......

I know a place where you can get the cluster cheaper than that as well....... if that is the route you decide to go in... I also have a third gear that is used but no chipped teeth or wear patterns...... that would prolly help you as well..

jason

HISSIN50 said:
As you know, 3rd is the weakest gear, John. sorry to hear that.

do you want to rebuild it yourself? D&D has the goods (as does Hanlon - i know Hanlon has the video too). the manual is online in PDF if you want to read about it (i have some info and links saved if interested. Actually, Jrichker has a nice standard post with the goods too).

good luck with it. :nice:
yeah im going to go ahead and rebuild it. Me and my dad are both pretty good he is a head Xerox tech and with the video that should be enough. Where do i get his Hanlon kit with the video. Also what is the site i can see that PDF so i can see what im getting myslef into.

WhiteDevil said:
yeah im going to go ahead and rebuild it. Me and my dad are both pretty good he is a head Xerox tech and with the video that should be enough. Where do i get his Hanlon kit with the video. Also what is the site i can see that PDF so i can see what im getting myslef into.
in my old age, I am getting smarter. Rather than searching in my saved links, here is a post by fox guru Jrichker. note that he has a fox, so make sure any links take you to your specific year T5 (i dont think the links are that specific - he runs a 3550 anyhow).

good luck with it bud. :nice:

mytight95 said:
you can download the adobe format off of the hanlon website.....

www.hanlonmotorsports.com

I would advise not ordering the parts for your tranny until you have it torn down and can get the numbers off of it..... Unless you bought the car new...

jason
Yeah thats true no i didnt buy it new the woman mentioned nothing about the T5 being replaced but ill tear it down first just to see what im dealing with. Thanks for the help guys.

you should have a 26 tooth third gear in that car...... if you wanna buy one cheap let me know.... its a ford gear.....lol

and do a search for a place called man trans for the imput shaft they sell them for 149$....... i have also seen package deals on e-bay with the cluster,a nd the 2nd and 3rd speed gears for around 200$....

good luck......

jason