Southern Girl Needs Some Advice!

heatherpaige373

Jan 8, 2012
Hi, I'm from AL but just moved to MA. I have owned 2 v6's and had no problems in the winter time up here but have recently considered stepping up to a 4.8 for a year round car. A: do you you northerners think this is a dumb decision and B: I'm torn between a 97gt or an 03gt. Are there any specs on these cars that will make a difference in snow? Like weight, traction control that kinda stuff... Any advice would be a huge help!!!

• Sponsors (?)

So... the REASON you want to get a V8 is so that you can drive it year round? If so, I don't get it. Just drive the V6 year round.

Questions A and B:

All of that comes down to your ability to drive. If you know how to drive int he snow then you're ahead of the game. If you're used to driving an automatic then my first choice would not be to hit the snowy streets in a V8 with a stick.

You'll need to relearn the car characteristics with a V8. It makes more low end torque and breaks wheels loose easier. This will be fairly simple to learn if already know how to drive in the snow.

So the answer: Your ability to drive in those conditions are FAR more important than whether you're in a V6 or V8.

My girlfriend drives a 2001 v6 auto with traction control. She put new all season tires on and keeps the tank full when theres snow. its not bad if you baby it but in my car its rediculously easy to slid or spin the tires even with the smallest amount of snow.

Either way you go your best bet is, good tires, full tank of gas and i use 100lbs of sand bags in my trunk which made a huge difference. As well as DRIVING SAFE!
Good luck!