I have a 67/68 hybrid mustang, need some advice...

fischin

Jul 14, 2011
Hi all,
So recently, I acquired a 68 coupe from a long time family friend for free. My friend does a lot of body work on cars, and has many different cars, (he has two mustangs, a falcon, two 60's corvettes and a camaro) and he decided to give this one to me because he has too many projects he's working on. Anyways, this car was rear ended, so he found a donor 67 and took the rear off of it and put it on the 68. He did everything correctly, and the body looks amaaaazing. (I got the car and all the body work was done and it was in primer). But I have one slight dilema, theres a significant difference between the 67 "side scoop" things on the quarter panel, compared to the 68's lip with the little chrome piece.
WHAT SHOULD I DO? :shrug:
I'm not trying to build a perfect car. I'm only 17, and my budget is kinda tight. This is my first mustang. I'd really like to put more effort and money into the cars driveability, not so much looks. But I'd like to be able to drive it around and have the senior mustang owners respect me, and not look at me like I'm a n00b because my side scoops aren't correct.
How tacky would it look it if I just put the 67' style on?
Or should I buy the eleanor style side scoops and put them on and hope no one notices?
I'd really like to call this car a '67 and be done with it, but the title and the stamped vin say '68 :(

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

• Sponsors (?)

68 or 67

Hi,

Well, since the VIN says it is a 68 that is what it is. Anyone that knows anything about Mustangs will be able to look at the VIN and see that it is one. Since you are not trying to restore it to showroom condition, and money is most likely tight, you should probably concentrate on other things and not worry about it.

Me, I would probably put on a set of Shelby style side scoops and hide the fake 67 side scoops. And if you really want to complete the 68 look you can bolt on a set of the late 68 model rear side markers. Not sure how picky your State's inspection process is but legally 68 model year and up had to have rear side markers.

Oh, and to complete the 68 look one more item that I can think of. Do your trunk lid/end caps have the chrome trim strips? In 67 they were an appearance option but in 68 they were standard.

Hope my musings help.

Craig