Spare Tire Question

I recently purchased a 2015 Eco boost with the performance package for my daughter, and just like the GT performance, no spare. They can be found easily enough but they all have the disclaimer not available for cars with summer tires. For the life of me, I can't figure out why that would matter one bit. Someone please enlighten me.

Thanks,

• Sponsors (?)

On the gt with the PP, they get 15" rotors in the front and ford does not have a spare wheel that will clear the huge rotors. On the eco PP, they get the standard gt front brakes which are 13.9" so I don't know why they don't give them a spare. You could find a wrecked 15+ standard gt and rob the spare out of it and it will fit the car.

FYI the standard eco and v-6 front brakes are only 12.6"

I dealt with this issue. Since it not a sizing issue, I pushed hard with the Ford support team on another site for reasoning behind this. They went to factory engineers who stated it was because of the traction imbalance caused by the potential of three high-grip tires matched with a minimal-grip spare.

Evidently they have determined that the driving risk of the imbalance outweighs the risk of being stuck on the side of the road and subsequent hassle of tire fix/replacement.

I purchased a spare and now drive with ease of mind. If I had to use the spare, I would drive with extreme caution and get it fixed ASAP.

After wear out of the original tires, I recently put on all-season tires instead of summer-only tires. So this should be less of an issue.

Hope this helps.

I wish I could get a spare that would fit. I have the GT with PP so I have the huge 15" brakes, and I do not know know of a spare wheel that will fit. I could always buy an extra front GT PP wheel and put a cheap all season tire on it and carry that around as my spare.

I dealt with this issue. Since it not a sizing issue, I pushed hard with the Ford support team on another site for reasoning behind this. They went to factory engineers who stated it was because of the traction imbalance caused by the potential of three high-grip tires matched with a minimal-grip spare.

Evidently they have determined that the driving risk of the imbalance outweighs the risk of being stuck on the side of the road and subsequent hassle of tire fix/replacement.

I purchased a spare and now drive with ease of mind. If I had to use the spare, I would drive with extreme caution and get it fixed ASAP.

After wear out of the original tires, I recently put on all-season tires instead of summer-only tires. So this should be less of an issue.

Hope this helps.
Best explanation yet but I'm still calling bull :poo:. Lawyers probably got involved.

griff1568, a newby here. The spare tire issue is the first thing I realized when I was looking at my pony. I have the brembo brakes, so the standard space saver tire won't work. I found this site: https://www.automotiveauthorityllc....ang-gt-with-brembo-brakes?variant=35757212297 that is peddling a spare tire that will fit the brembo brakes but won't be available until later this year. Kinda pricey at $475. My thought is to get the existing spare tire kit and if I get a rear flat, put the spare on. If I get a front flat, put the rear tire on the front and put the spare on the rear. Kinda a lot of tire changing, but my odds of a front flat are 50/50, right? Can I change the rear to front without an issue? I really don't want to carry a full size spare to suck up all the trunk space. Thanks for the input.

I somewhat understand the OP's concern, especially with a daughter. But, would she / could she change a flat if she were to have one? I seriously question if my daughter could. I'm sure she would call either her husband or me.

My experience -
I traded a "no spare" MX-5 for my GT. I did add a plug kit when I purchased the Miata (and to the GT before it had 100 miles on it). In six years I never had cause to open the compressor or the plug kit.
Had I needed to open the compressor, I would have called AAA instead. The $50 a year is more for my wife's benefit, but I'm not above letting someone change/repair the flat, or tow me to a shop that can.

So, IMHO, throw a plug kit in the trunk and get her a AAA card. It'll be the best $50/year insurance you'll likely never need.