spark @ coil wire but not @ sparkplug wire?

my car won't start, and i'm ready to torch this son of bitch.

i found 2 foul plugs so i changed all the plugs, i have fuel pressure. and i had a chance to borrow my neighbor for 2 seconds before he left his house. so i checked for spark on the #1 wire, by grounding it off the intake bolt and i got no spark. so then i pulled the coil wire off the distributor and i got spark. then i tried the #1 wire again and nothing.
so now i'm stumped, could my ignition control module be bad again?

thanks
for any help
joe

• Sponsors (?)

use a dmm and either check resistance, or if you have the continuity function, then use that.

or

pull a wire from any other cylinder and make sure those are firing. find one that fires then put it on the #1 terminal and see if it fires. that should rule the bad wire out. although, your car should start with only one or 2 missing cylinders

If you have spark at the coil wire to the dizzy, your ignition (TFI, PIP and coil) are fine to that point.

As said, look for a bad wire or bad testing methods. I wasnt sure if you used an old, cleaned-up spark plug for your ground testing. Insert the plug into the wire and set the plug's threads on the upper intake. This removes air-gap error. If no spark, close the gap on the plug to 0.030" and try again.

If no go still, check the rotor and inside the dizzy cap. The rotor being worn, a bad carbon brush, or a crack in the cap can cause a situation where you have spark to the dizzy cap, but no spark leaving the dizzy cap.

Good luck.

this might get long.

it ran perfect. then not even a week ago i had a half a day @ work which is rare and i wanted to put in my new TB in. so i remove the old one but couldn't get my TPS off due to screws striping. thats when i had that thread about TPS screw size. then it sat with the tB off for a couple of days, work and home life got crazy. but then this afternoon i was suppose to drop it of to get the new suspension installed.
so i woke up early today, cause i figured all i had to do was put the TB back on and i would worry about putting the newer one at a later date.
well i had take the wires of on the left side of the dist to make it aittle easier to get the TB of, but when i put them back on i had 2 wires switched. so when i went to pull out the drive way it was missing and buckin. so i knew something wasn't right. so i checked everything and notice the 2 wires in the wrong spot. switched them back, started up the car and it had a rough idle and wouldn't stay on . ****
so i pull the plugs and they're soak with gas and 2 really didn't look so go, so i took those 2 as fouled up. changed all the spark plugs, double checks all the wires to make sure they were in the right spot. now it only crank and doesn't start.
thats when i got my neighbor to help me like in the first post.
since then i have changed the ignition control module nothing. then i remembered that i had an extra msd cap and rotor thats barely used. and since the one on the car, the contact points from underneath looked alittle worn and discolored i swapped them out also. still the same.

so now i'm stuck at what to do. i will try and test the wires if not tonight, tomorrow morning. i know i have a set of unused MSD wires at my parents house, but i have to wait for the wifey to get home cause my car doesn't start.

well i might of found my problem.

i just found this diagram:

firingorder.gif

i was using one that didn't show the cap clips

now i have the cap clips inbetween 3 &1 - 6&5
not 7&3 - 5&4

i'm running out to the garage to switch it up now. back in a flash lol

Attachments

• firingorder.gif
    firingorder.gif
    11.1 KB · Views: 62
on its right
i'm such a ****in idiot:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

all day with this **** and it was just that. wait it even gets better as soon as i got it started, i took it out was was doing almost 70mph down this stretch of street. then i pull it into the garage and notice that i never fully put my hood down.:eek: i almost ended the night with the hood in my face.

i feel like such an ******* right now i will turn to my wife and ask her to just kick me in the balls.:nonono:

thanks for everyone putting up with my stupidity.

:bang:

donkey_punch said:
on its right
i'm such a ****in idiot:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

all day with this **** and it was just that. wait it even gets better as soon as i got it started, i took it out was was doing almost 70mph down this stretch of street. then i pull it into the garage and notice that i never fully put my hood down.:eek: i almost ended the night with the hood in my face.

i feel like such an ******* right now i will turn to my wife and ask her to just kick me in the balls.:nonono:

thanks for everyone putting up with my stupidity.

:bang:
We have all been there buddeh.
:nice: