Speed Cal Removal - Vss Connector To Harness

Timin

Founding Member
Jul 23, 2001
Houston
I had the Dallas Mustang Speed Cal installed on my 98 GT and eventually the board blew a circuit, resulting in my Speedometer and Odometer to stop working (Tachometer still worked.) The Speed Cal itself has 5 wires coming off of it, Red (Hot/Power,) Blue, Green, Grey, and White. The Blue and Green wires plugged into the Connector that goes into the VSS itself, I removed these wires from the connector.

The Grey/White wires were connected into a circular connector which plugged into the connector going to the Wiring Harness. I went ahead and cut the Grey/White wires since they go to the Speed Cal, but at this point I am not sure how to connect the VSS up to the Wiring Harness connector. I haven't been able to find any pictures of a "stock setup" showing what it should look like with no modifications, and I was wondering if anyone has some pictures or an idea of what I am missing.

The connector on the wiring harness is circular, and I don't see any way this could plug into the connector on the VSS.

-Karl

Attachments

• Connector Going to Grey-White Wire.JPG
    Connector Going to Grey-White Wire.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 171
  • Connector on Wiring Harness.JPG
    Connector on Wiring Harness.JPG
    117.7 KB · Views: 186
  • Connector that Plugged into VSS.JPG
    Connector that Plugged into VSS.JPG
    88.7 KB · Views: 167
  • Current Install after Removal of Speed Cal.JPG
    Current Install after Removal of Speed Cal.JPG
    118.1 KB · Views: 171
  • VSS with Connector Removed.JPG
    VSS with Connector Removed.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 168
  • Sponsors (?)

Looking at Step 7 on their instructions you take the VSS connector and remove the red contact lock, and then remove both contacts. It sounds like on the back of this connector there were two wires (one going to each contact) that were connecting over to the circular wiring harness connector in the OEM setup. I found a replacement VSS Connector which shows the 2 wires coming out of the back, which I no longer have on my connector after removing the Blue/Green wires going back to the Speed Cal.

I don't see any wires under the car, so it's very likely that I trashed them, so I went ahead and purchased the new connector. The connector on the wiring harness sitting right by the transmission/VSS looks to have female contacts where i can insert this wire, and re-insert the red contact lock (Steps 13 and 14.) I should have the new VSS connector this week, and will give this another shot this weekend to see if that fixes the Speedometer.

Attachments

• Replacement Connector.JPG
    Replacement Connector.JPG
    16.4 KB · Views: 195