speed density to MAF A9L

mo925415

Jun 18, 2020
San Francisco
I have an 86 mustang, just threw in an A9L with a 19lb maf sensor, the car idles rough and sounds like the timing is off, does it need a tune or what? bbk shorty headers, bbk cold air intake, everything else is bone stock but i have a trickflow upper and lower intake and an e303 cam i want to throw in. how can i go about this. im new to this .

• Sponsors (?)

Since you are a new member I don't know if you have the 'box' at the bottom of this thread. One of the neat things I've noticed over the years is when a thread title is descriptive enough there are thread posts in the 'box' that are similar and can be used to help resolve a similar problem, if, of course, there is a 'fix' posted.
Similar threads
Speed Density And Maf
Dec 25, 2014
Speed Density to MAF
Jul 12, 2008
1988 speed density to 93 MAF conversion.
Mar 18, 2008

Was the original 86 car a 5-spd?

Did you move the pins on the ECU connector? Did you run the additional 2 wires for the VSS sensor? We need more details as to how you did the conversion

Just saw that my old computer has an AOS Super chip would this be compatible with the A9L ECU and could this be a reason for a rough run without it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 77
That is Old School!

If that is the ecu you removed, then it shouldn't affect how the car is running now.

I would suggest pulling codes, and doing a part number check for the injectors and the MAF housing/sensor.

That setup should not need a tune, so most likely something is off, either a part mismatch or a conversion/wiring issue...