• Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech

Speed odometer off

  • Thread starter Thread starter gmantheman
  • Start date Start date May 17, 2008

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 17, 2008
#1
  • May 17, 2008
  • #1
When I purchased my 89tq tune from Doug, I had 3.55 gears and my tires were 255/50/17. Since then I changed my tires and gears. My tires are now 245/45/17 and I now have 4.10s. I modified my custom tune. I adjusted my tire revs to 785 per. min and gears to 4.09 (diablo doesn't have 4.10). When I compare my speed odometer to my GPS my speed odometer reads about 5mph than the GPS. When I modify my tune to 4.30 gears my speed odometer is off by only 2 mph. Does Doug need to re-send a new tune to reflect my new gears and tires?
gragra73 is online now Add to gragra73's Reputation Report Post Edit/Delete Message
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
May 17, 2008
#2
  • May 17, 2008
  • #2
What tires do you have? Due to manufacturer variances, your calculation of 785 revs per mile could be quite off. I'm assuming you used the Miata calculator. If you go to the tire manufacturer's website, you can find the true revs per mile.

Diablo doesn't have 4.10 in there? That's goofy. If everything else is dead on, I would email Doug.
 

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 17, 2008
#3
  • May 17, 2008
  • #3
I used this formula (forgot where I found it) 20168/tire diameter. 20168/25.7 is approx 785
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
May 17, 2008
#4
  • May 17, 2008
  • #4
Ok, but again, what make and model are the tires? Tires differ between companies. Trust me. My 325/45/18 M&H's are not as tall as my 295/45/18 Nitto's.
 

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 17, 2008
#5
  • May 17, 2008
  • #5
BFG KDW
 

DarkFireGT

Playing with my wife's really makes me want one.
10 Year Member
May 23, 2004
692
10
89
East Moline, IL
May 17, 2008
#6
  • May 17, 2008
  • #6
The revs per mile for the KDW is 810 for a 245/45/17. Try plugging that in and see what happens.
 

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 17, 2008
#7
  • May 17, 2008
  • #7
Thanks for the info. Just wondering, were did you get that information?
 

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 17, 2008
#8
  • May 17, 2008
  • #8
Never mind, it's right on their website.
 

gmantheman

Member
Dec 30, 2007
483
1
16
Escondido, CA
May 18, 2008
#9
  • May 18, 2008
  • #9
I set the tire revs to 810, but still my speed odometer reads about 2 MPH. This is close enough for me. In fact aren't most speed odometers off by by -/+ 2-3 MPH?
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Xtremely high fuel consumption
  • PonyGTrider
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 9 10 11
Replies
213
Views
5K
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- May 9, 2026
PonyGTrider
Progress Thread The Mach Returns - Update/build thread
  • squeak93
  • Feb 20, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
11
Views
604
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Thursday at 4:56 PM
squeak93
S
Car shakes when taking off help???
  • STANKYstangs
  • May 10, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
12
Views
434
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- May 27, 2026
LILCBRA
3
Eight inches is enough for me...
  • 351MooseStang
  • Nov 27, 2025
  • 1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech
Replies
5
Views
680
1974 - 1978 Mustang II Talk & Tech Mar 2, 2026
Bullitt347
What's your tow rig?
  • LILCBRA
  • May 31, 2026
  • Other Auto Tech
Replies
3
Views
235
Other Auto Tech May 31, 2026
LILCBRA
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 2005 - 2014 S-197 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • 2005 - 2009 Specific Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?