• Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech

Speed vs RPM

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rockin302
  • Start date Start date Oct 31, 2004
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Nov 12, 2004
#21
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #21
Rockin302 said:
Even with my stock gears (double checked, I have 3:27's) there's a drone at highway speeds, approximately 65 mph. Maybe I should switch out to the 3 chamber delta flows.
Click to expand...


Those 40 series mufflers will do that: flowmasters = dronemasters...I had a drone in my 2000 GT with the 327's at 70mph (2000rpm) with the prochamber and catback...oh I loved that sound
 

Rockin302

Founding Member
Mar 24, 2002
236
0
0
California
Nov 12, 2004
#22
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #22
I hear the drone at about 1900-200 rpms. the mufflers aren't stock, they sorta look like flowmasters but they're all black. The previous owner told me he had them put in at Midas. I think he told me they were called Riven?

Don't get me wrong though, I've always loved the sound of a 5 liter with mufflers but I'm thinking I could quiet them down just a tad with the 3 chamber Flows.
 

5spd GT

"the 5.0 owns all"
Founding Member
Aug 7, 2002
9,516
6
99
Arkansas
Nov 12, 2004
#23
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #23
Rockin302 said:
I hear the drone at about 1900-200 rpms. the mufflers aren't stock, they sorta look like flowmasters but they're all black. The previous owner told me he had them put in at Midas. I think he told me they were called Riven?

Don't get me wrong though, I've always loved the sound of a 5 liter with mufflers but I'm thinking I could quiet them down just a tad with the 3 chamber Flows.
Click to expand...


Ooopss...I got your 93 and your 90 mixed up on the muffler thing...

3 chambers will still get you a drone...but not knowing what muffler (exactly) you have there is no telling whether it will help or hurt...? Never heard of Riven...I know the Hooker aerochambers I had (sounded good...never should have switched them out) were black...
 
T

tHeOnEGT

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
175
0
0
new jersey
Nov 12, 2004
#24
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #24
was this from your stock tach or aftermarket? i might look for error in that area. also, one can jack the rear end and note DS to wheel rotation to figure the ratio.
Click to expand...

YEa i figured something is off too. I have the stock tach. Even thou its the stock tach, i feel when my car is dying off, or how it sounds when the rpms are up there. I run the best shifting at 5500-5700, and then i ahve to run out 4th to 6200(and it definilty feels like 6200) to finish the qt mile or shift to 5th. My best runs were 13.8's at 102-103 with 2.1 60 ft's shifting at thoae rpm's. Any higher or lower would be a slower run, and the one run i shifted to 5th and lost time doing that. I used the corral calculator, and its right on the money with what i am seeing with my car.

Before i do get the rear end changed, i am going to get a dyno tune, as i fell i need one, so i should know what my rpm's are at compared to my tach.

And i will keep in mind about the 3.90 gears.


eric
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 12, 2004
#25
  • Nov 12, 2004
  • #25
Eric, as you know, never use fifth while at the strip.

if you are maxing 4th out at the traps, i might leave well enough alone.
 
T

tHeOnEGT

Founding Member
Apr 9, 2001
175
0
0
new jersey
Nov 13, 2004
#26
  • Nov 13, 2004
  • #26
yea but im over maxing the traps. I crossing the traps at 6200 rpm. I start losing power around 5600-5800. I want to cross the traps at 5500, not 6200 where im losing power and speed. I know not to shift to 5th at the track, but i was like what the heck, it was like my 6th run. I wanted to experiment.

Thanks for the advice.
 

HISSIN50

"How long does it take to get help in here?
15 Year Member
Nov 29, 1999
31,179
34
129
Nov 13, 2004
#27
  • Nov 13, 2004
  • #27
gotcha - if you know for sure you were at 6200 (remember the puter kills spark at 6250, so you were right on the edge). i still wonder if your tach might be slightly optimistic.
 
Prev
  • 1
  • 2
First Prev 2 of 2
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Fox Fuel Pump Issues After Replacement/Upgrade
  • Ryu
  • Jun 23, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
24
Views
906
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Sep 13, 2026
Ryu
J
Low RPM jerking
  • Justinkins
  • Jul 8, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
5
Views
189
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 11, 2026
fasterthangas
F
S
Engine Stalls when downshifting/coasting
  • Scott_S
  • Nov 5, 2025
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
11
Views
830
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Nov 6, 2025
Mustang5L5
T
Electrical Brown Connector #31
  • ta66
  • Jul 26, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Replies
2
Views
159
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 30, 2026
ta66
T
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
214
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?