SpeedHut Gauge install - write up with pics

Dragstr05

Dec 21, 2004
Stafford VA
I told myself so many times I would do a write up of a mod since I appreciate it so much when others take the time to do it. So I finally got to it and took pictures for you guys. Enjoy.

102_0391.jpg

Cluster bezel out

102_0390.jpg

There are 2 7mm screws to take out. Those are the obvious. Then there are just this clips that hold it in. A little pull does the job. Comes out a little from the top first.

102_0392.jpg

There are 4 of these 7mm screws that hold the cluster in. Dont forget the 2 harness connectors in the back.

102_0394.jpg

This is the headlight switch connector on the left side. The large solid grey wire is the one I tapped into for power. Using the grey wire allows the cluster to light up when the headlights are turned on.

102_0393.jpg

Checking for my wire with my power probe. Great tool if you have the coin. Checks for ground, power, has tones, built in circuit breaker. Also applies power/ground, good for testing window motors, etc.

102_0395.jpg

Bingo. Power only when headlights turned on.

102_0396.jpg

Cluster out.

102_0400.jpg

I marked off the section on top to cut out. The gauge wires on the bottom are fine, but the top you will need to remove a small section to clear the speedo/tach wire.

102_0402.jpg

Tools I used to remove the needles. Now, the gauges DO fit over the needles, but after trying I opted to simply remove the needles. They are slightly stubborn. The trick is to get uniform pressure, then just pop them off. I fiddled with them for like 20mins, after I got brave I had them all off in like a minute. Dont be scared, but dont gorilla jerk them off.

102_0408.jpg

Needle pin and needle stops for the fuel/coolant/oil/voltage gauges.

102_0401.jpg

Setting gauges in place, no needles

102_0407.jpg

Needles installed. Or so I thought. When I plugged it all in and started it up, the needles were EVERYWHERE. So I took them off. Here is what I did. I used electrical tape to hold the overlays in place, noIt needles, lense, nothing. Plugged the cluster in and let the vehicle run till it warms up. You WILL NEED PICTURES (or drawing) of needle placement prior to removal with vehicle running and warmed up. I used my scan tool to check for coolant temp. Those of you with a programmer, that will work too. You can also use it to set the tach needle in place. For the speedo, I used my lift at work to raise the car off the ground, used my scanner to watch the vehicle speed sensor and set the needle in place with the speed steady. There may be other methods, but my speedo is nearly dead on, just a hair slow.

102_0409.jpg

Put together with all the needle nonsense sorted out. It's really not that bad guys, just take your time. Dont try to do it all in 30mins and expect it to be perfect. BTW, I've heard of people having to dremel their cluster lense off; mine was held in place with 8 5.5mm (or T15 Torx). No dremel here.

I didnt take pictures of it, but all the wires I wire tied behind the cluster. Used the grey wire on the headlight switch for my power, and grounded it under the dash by the interior fuse box. Didnt see a ground I liked up top. I got the inverter upgrade - it switches from green/blue and adjusts brightness. Its very small, about the size of a halfdollar. It comes with double sided tape on the back, I mounted it on the underside of the steering column. Completely out of sight but right there.

And for the finished product:

102_0410.jpg

102_0411.jpg

And lit up:
102_0412.jpg

I'm very happy with the results! I inquired about the redline as it showed 6800rpm on the website, they emailed back and said to just put that I wanted the redline at 5800rpm in the comments section when ordering. I wanted clean and simple and its exactly what I wanted. My ONLY complaints are that its slightly fuzzy around the black portion of the needles but the rest of the dials are crisp, clean lighting. The pictures do not do these justice at all!

Any other pic requests or questions just let me know.

-Matt

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks for sharing.

The only thing I will add, as I have these also, is that I know a lot of people are afraid of removing the needles from the gauges when installing overlays. If you take your time and don't rush through anything, you CAN install these without removing the needles on any of the gauges. I never removed any on mine when I installed them and they work perfectly. No sticking and they fit perfectly over the needles.

I have never done any type of electrical work. Please explain what method you used to tap into the gray headlight power. You may have to talk to me like you're explaining to someone that believes blinker fluid exists haha Anything electrical I always had done professionally.

What's the best way to ground? I assume you bought some more wire since the grounding wire is only a couple inches long without pulling back the insulation holding the power and ground together.

I bought the AC panel face as well. See any issues using one inverter for all 4 pieces? (speedo/tach, fuel/temp, oil/volts, and AC panel)
I have 2 inverters but I figure it'd be easy tying everything into one switch since there are 4 connectors coming off of it.

It's all good man. I'll get you some pics of the other parts I used to give you an idea. And yes I did use some additional wire. I pair of wire crimpers/strippers is the only tool you will need. Should have the pics up for you later this evening. I'll be at the shop till 7.

It's all good man. I'll get you some pics of the other parts I used to give you an idea. And yes I did use some additional wire. I pair of wire crimpers/strippers is the only tool you will need. Should have the pics up for you later this evening. I'll be at the shop till 7.

Great, thanks. You can send them to my email if you'd like. Just want to see where the black and red connect in. Should be fairly simple.

[email protected]

Thanks,
Chris

Here are some pics I took of the gauge cluster area and under the steering column if it helps you explain better by writing on them. Sorry for the cell phone quality.

http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/0108001609.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/0108001609a.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/0108001609b.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/0108001612a.jpg
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/0108001617b.jpg

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before doing this job?

How did you get your odometer to light up blue?

Here are some pics I took of the gauge cluster area and under the steering column if it helps you explain better by writing on them. Sorry for the cell phone quality.

Did you disconnect the negative terminal on the battery before doing this job?

How did you get your odometer to light up blue?

Tell you what, after the work load slows down tomorrow I'll bring my car in the shop and pull the cluster out and get you some pics of how I wired it in. I want to clean it up a bit anyway. Was ready to go home the night I did it so I just got it working and put it back together.

No I didnt disconnect the battery. You arent messing with the air bag system so you really dont need to long as you're carefull. If you're unsure about the whole thing, just disconnect it.

My odometer lights up blue from the factory. Mine is a 2000. The newer ones light up more green than mine. I dont think you can change it.

Tell you what, after the work load slows down tomorrow I'll bring my car in the shop and pull the cluster out and get you some pics of how I wired it in. I want to clean it up a bit anyway. Was ready to go home the night I did it so I just got it working and put it back together.

No I didnt disconnect the battery. You arent messing with the air bag system so you really dont need to long as you're carefull. If you're unsure about the whole thing, just disconnect it.

My odometer lights up blue from the factory. Mine is a 2000. The newer ones light up more green than mine. I dont think you can change it.

Ah ok, didn't know it was factory.

I picked up some 18 gauge solid wire from radio shack. Looks to be about the same size, will this do the trick? Got some of the crimp splice connects also.

Is this all I will need?
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm142/thealmightyhubbard/IMG_1428.jpg