• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Speedo Calibration

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gtryder18
  • Start date Start date Apr 10, 2017
  • Tags Tags
    3.73 gears gearing gears gt oodometer rear end speedometer
G

Gtryder18

New Member
Apr 10, 2017
1
0
1
Apr 10, 2017
#1
  • Apr 10, 2017
  • #1
I have a 96 gt mustang that has been modified with 3.73 gears in the rear end and my speedometer is showing a lot faster than I am really going. I've been told I just need to change the gear on the speedometer cable to match that of the gearing in the rear end. My question is where can I go to find the speedo gear to be able to fix that and also get my odometer working as well. Thanks in advance for any help.
 

Az Pete

10 Year Member
Mar 30, 2005
711
18
49
Panama City, Fl.
Apr 12, 2017
#2
  • Apr 12, 2017
  • #2
I did a quick search online....CJ Pony had info
 

Jinx

I like cats, cats like me. Cats and I fully agree.
20+ Year Stangneter
Oct 2, 2003
12,166
4,237
223
Cat Country
Apr 16, 2017
#3
  • Apr 16, 2017
  • #3
This is a pictoral for replacing the cluster gears if you need to, not sure if the 96's are mechanical or digital.
Hope this helps for your speedo/odometer issue:
https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/pictorial-guide-to-odometer-gear-replacement.605742/
 

COramprat

...I can take it. I think.
20+ Year Stangneter
Mar 2, 2003
8,474
1,463
223
Sea of Tranquility
Apr 19, 2017
#4
  • Apr 19, 2017
  • #4
It's a mechanical speedo. There used to be a speed calibrator at the big mustang sites but I don't know if they are still available. If not you can get the gear from the same place
 

squeak93

15 Year Member
Jun 2, 2005
2,317
392
164
Joplin, Missouri
Apr 26, 2017
#5
  • Apr 26, 2017
  • #5
He only way to correct a 96-98 speedo is with a speedcal from ford racing or a like unit.


Fwiw my speedcal died in three months. Pricey Little guys to have to warranty.
 

Saberstang

Active Member
May 2, 2017
130
24
28
Atlanta, GA
May 4, 2017
#6
  • May 4, 2017
  • #6
The Dallas Mustang Speedcal is the best Speedcal you can purchase for speedo calibration. My Dallas Mustang Speedcal has been installed in my Mustang for eight years now and it still works perfect. The Dallas Mustang Speedcal is one of the best investments I ever made in my Mustang as I have the correct mileage thanks to the Speedcal unit.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

S
Speedometer Calibration
  • Sonny Bibb
  • Sep 11, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
4
Views
149
Digital Self-tuning Forum Sep 13, 2026
Sonny Bibb
S
M
Speedometer is 10 miles off
  • Mus19tang
  • Aug 6, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
1
Views
214
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Aug 7, 2025
gkomo
W
Speedometer and shifting issues
  • wyatt-tetro891
  • Aug 17, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
Replies
6
Views
213
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Aug 18, 2026
wyatt-tetro891
W
D
96 get convertible-sell or part out?
  • DTCstang
  • May 17, 2026
  • What is it Worth?!?!?
Replies
5
Views
247
What is it Worth?!?!? May 18, 2026
nickyb
Drivetrain Rear end clunk
  • seanmahoney
  • Oct 13, 2025
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
3
Views
472
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Oct 13, 2025
nickyb
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?