Spot weld removal help?

Jester67

Sep 21, 2004
TN
Who makes the best spot weld cutter? I was told that a lot of the spot-weld cutter dull very fast and that a drill bit is a better way to go. I was just hoping that someone had come across a tool or method that made removing spot-welds as easy as possible.

• Sponsors (?)

I use a regular drill to remove spot welds. Start with something like an 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit, then move up to a 1/4 or 5/16. This will remove all of the spot weld so you don't have to beat the poop out of it to separate the panels. Then when you weld the new panel in, simply plug-weld it from the backside and it looks like a factory spot weld from the front. Worked for me...

I've always just drilled them for removal and plug welded for assembly as well.

The biggest problem I have is getting the bit centered in the spot weld so that the 2 peices of metal will come apart nicely...This probably has somethign to do with not using a center punch I'd imagine.

Try Eastwood they have a nice spot welder dit that works well! Center punch the spot weld first and use lots of WD40 when doing it! Keeps the bit from wearing down! Use a grinder first to see the welds better, then center puch and then drill away! :nice:

Lately I've been using a 3/8" "bullet bit" that I got for free with something I bought and it works great. It's a 3/8" bit with a 1/8" pilot bit built in that sticks out from the tip about 1/8". That way, you get your small centering pilot hole and your cutting hole all in one operation.

I used the spot weld remover with a spring loaded needle in the center to keep in centered. Never had a problem with dulling it. But I did have problem bearking teeth. So I started using a cordless drill with the adjustments and set it farely low so when the tooth would grab the drill would release the pressure. No more broken teeth.

I have used Blair cutters (available at auto body/paint supply stores). You will spend about $30 for the main piece which has one double sided head and the centering pin and second package of 3 double sided replacement heads. I found you never know how long they will last--I have put on a new head and caught an edge on the very next weld and poof--torn off 2 or 3 of the teeth. Then it is time to flip it over and use the other side until it is dull or broken. Maybe it is my impatience, but I tend to break more cutter teeth than dulling them. My opinion reasonably priced and can be done by the do it yourselfer. :D

Some people prefer to just use regular drill bits and step them out until the weld is removed. I don't like that because it leaves a divot. Drill bits will be more durable than the blair cutters, so it is a matter of preference/opinion. Definitely affordable for the do it yourselfer. :D

I have a plasma cutter and it makes real quick work of it--just be sure you want to cut ALL the way through because anything in the way is going to be cut/melted. It works awesome in tight spots where I can't use the drill and spotweld cutter. The plasma torch also allows me to cut away big pieces of panels so I can gain better access and "trim" the last little bit how I want it. Here you are going to spend $1000 to get a plasma torch and you must have an air compressor to operate it (too expensive unless you are going to do LOTS of cutting).

Lastly, a tool on my wish list--the special spot weld drills with the carbide bits. I would love to have one, just blew all my money on the other tools and toys. But someday when the wife isn't looking!!! :rolleyes:

Good luck,