Squeaking

brtnstrns

Dec 19, 2003
Lewisville, TX
One of my pulleys is squeaking on my engine. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to narrow it down? I tried using a pipe up to my ear and placing it at each pulley that the belt goes around but didn't really work well. Should I just spray everything with some sort of lubricant or any other ideas?

• Sponsors (?)

Most commonly, it's the idler or tensioner pulley. Same P/N for either and they run about $18 each. Quick replacement. If there are more than 5 or 6 cracks per inch on the belt, replace it while your in there.

GT

Yup, I had this problem close to a year ago today. The idler pulley is as simple as taking the bolt out. For the tensioner pulley, you have to remove the tensioner assembly, but that is only 3 bolts and pretty easy to do as well. One of those two pulleys is almost certainly the culprit.

Should I just spray everything with some sort of lubricant or any other ideas?
Don't spray oil on it. The bearings are sealed so anything sprayed will not get into the bearings to do any good. In addition, the bearings can really only be accessed from the rear.

If the oil could get through the seals, it should be replaced anyway.

So spraying oil will not help the problem and may ruin the belt.

Another source of belt noise is excessive crank damper run out. The rubber seal between the crank damper will dry out allowing the outer ring to move. If you note the tensioner arm is constantly adjusting, take a look at the crank damper. If it is out of round, consider replacing.