Sr Performance 70mm Throttle Intake

• Sponsors (?)

If you're looking for honesty, I think small bolt ons are a great way to throw away money on a 4.6L 2V modular engine.

If you're just looking to add a little under hood aftermarket "bling" to your car, then by all mean pick it up.....but if you're looking for performance, skip the small stuff and start saving up for something that'll really add some power. Those "basic" bolt on's can really start to add up in price fast....but their power gains don't. The sad truth, is that 2V mod motors don't respond as well to basic bolt ons that the old 5.0L OHV, or new 5.0 TiVCT engines do.

If a person were serious about modding their '96-'04 Mustang, I'd suggest spending $3,500-$4,000 on a blower (assuming you bought new....less if used) and pick up 100hp+ in one shot, over spending nearly the same amount of money over time on individual parts just to pick up 30hp that they'd never feel.

Food for thought

If you're looking for honesty, I think small bolt ons are a great way to throw away money on a 4.6L 2V modular engine.

If you're just looking to add a little under hood aftermarket "bling" to your car, then by all mean pick it up.....but if you're looking for performance, skip the small stuff and start saving up for something that'll really add some power. Those "basic" bolt on's can really start to add up in price fast....but their power gains don't. The sad truth, is that 2V mod motors don't respond as well to basic bolt ons that the old 5.0L OHV, or new 5.0 TiVCT engines do.

If a person were serious about modding their '96-'04 Mustang, I'd suggest spending $3,500-$4,000 on a blower (assuming you bought new....less if used) and pick up 100hp+ in one shot, over spending nearly the same amount of money over time on individual parts just to pick up 30hp that they'd never feel.

Food for thought
I dont even no what a blower is.

Sorry....."blower" is slang terminology for supercharger. Vortech, Paxton, ATI, Kenne Bell, Tork Teck, etc are all reputable brand name superchargers built for these cars. They can be had new for anywhere from $3,500-up, depending on options, or the capabilities of the supercharger.

They're an expensive initial investment, but they're a far more cost effective method of adding power to a 4.6L 2V engine than bolt on parts are. The only more cost effective way of adding power to an engine is with nitrous oxide.

I've had basic bolt ons (throttle body, heads, exhaust, intake, CAI, etc) on a 4.6L in the past and although some of the higher dollar parts gave a bit of a seat of the pants gain, they weren't really all that rewarding for the money spent on them. It wasn't until I supercharged my vehicle that a REAL difference could be both seen and felt. If I could do it over again, I wouldn't' waste my time or money on bolt ons.....and I'm giving you the advice I should have followed from the beginning when someone gave it to me.

The intake throttle body combination you posted above seems nice enough. I'm sure it's an improvement over stock and it's certainly nicer to look at....and thus far, I've not heard any complaints about SR Performance (American Muscles in house brand) quality......but in the end, you get what you pay for.

O ok a supercharger now Im following you. You have a great point and I would love to supercharge my car but do you think it would be a good idea to supercharge a daily driver car, and plus dont supercharger beat the hell out of your engine in the long run.

O ok a supercharger now Im following you. You have a great point and I would love to supercharge my car but do you think it would be a good idea to supercharge a daily driver car, and plus dont supercharger beat the hell out of your engine in the long run.

Supercharged cars are fine as daily drivers....and the industry has become more welcoming of forced induction engines now, more than ever. Shelby GT500, Corvette Z06, Camaro ZL1, varouis Roush Mustang models, Harley Davidson F150's, numerous Mercedes models throughout the years, the Thunderbird SC's, early Chevy Cobalts, etc just to name a few.....all cars sporting superchargers and full factory warranties. Heck, Fords Ecoboost engines are some of the best on the road today and they're running factory single and twin turbo systems.

As far as beating the hell out of your engine.....that all depends on how you treat your car. Drive with your foot in the oil pan all the time and you're going to shorten your engines lifespan just like you would without one. Don't try to spin the heck out of your supercharger, run conservative timing and fuel levels and decent fuel in your tank and you'll never notice a difference.

I drove a supercharged 4.6L 2V for 5-years before I sold the car and it ran as well the day I sold it, as the day I built it. The engine was still running strong last I heard.

Yes, it can be a big initial expense by comparison.....but your driving experience improves greatly from day one. You're not left hoping you'll feel the power after your next $100, $200, or $300 part like you are when throwing away your money on useless bolt ons.

Let's put it this way....say you own your car for 5-years.

You can spend that time bolting on a part at a time. Maybe $250 for a throttle body, $150 for a CAI, $400 headers, $300 for a mid pipe, $500 for a cat back, $500 for a hand held, etc, etc The money adds up, but the power doesn't. In the end, you'll have spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket parts, only to pick up a total of 30-40hp. Now....30-40hp doesn't sound too bad, but the problem is, when you bolt parts on one at a time, every few months like that....you never really feel it. You pick up 3-5hp here, 2hp there and it never really makes an impact. What you end up doing is always "chasing the dragon" so to speak. Trying to reaach a neverending goal.

So....now 5-years has come, your car never really got as fast as you wanted it to, you've spend the entire time broke because every bit of extra money you did make went towards whatever next big bolt on your thought you wanted and you're now tired of it and ready to move onto the next great thing.

Or....you budget right off the bat for a reputable supercharger system. If you can't afford to buy it all in one shot and have to borrow some of the money for it, then do so. You calculate that cost into whatever you pay out monthly with the rest of your bills and be done with it. No surprises and no random expense.

Now, you've got yourself a car that you enjoy driving right off the bat and you actually enjoy driving it for the next 5-years. It's got the power you always craved and in the end, the resale of the car is going to be higher than that of a bolt on Mustang when it comes time to selling if off and move onto the next great thing.

I tell you this, because someone told it to me when I started out and I didn't listen and wished I had. The problem is....the little stuff is tempting and easily affordable because scraping a couple hundred bucks together every couple of months is easy.....but I promise you, it won't reward you in the end like you hope it will. Not with this engine. The 2V modular just doesn't take to bolt ons like the Mustangs before and after it. Too many limitations and not enough options.

Cliff notes:

O ok a supercharger now Im following you. You have a great point and I would love to supercharge my car but do you think it would be a good idea to supercharge a daily driver car

Oh hell yes.

, and plus dont supercharger beat the hell out of your engine in the long run.

That largely depends on how good of a match your blower is for combo, how well it was installed and with what supporting mods (if any), and how good your tune is. LOTS LOTS LOTS of folks like to go cheap as possible on the last portion. Big mistake. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Gearbanger 10 bestpost: 8900049 said:
Supercharged cars are fine as daily drivers....and the industry has become more welcoming of forced induction engines now, more than ever. Shelby GT500, Corvette Z06, Camaro ZL1, varouis Roush Mustang models, Harley Davidson F150's, numerous Mercedes models throughout the years, the Thunderbird SC's, early Chevy Cobalts, etc just to name a few.....all cars sporting superchargers and full factory warranties. Heck, Fords Ecoboost engines are some of the best on the road today and they're running factory single and twin turbo systems.

As far as beating the hell out of your engine.....that all depends on how you treat your car. Drive with your foot in the oil pan all the time and you're going to shorten your engines lifespan just like you would without one. Don't try to spin the heck out of your supercharger, run conservative timing and fuel levels and decent fuel in your tank and you'll never notice a difference.

I drove a supercharged 4.6L 2V for 5-years before I sold the car and it ran as well the day I sold it, as the day I built it. The engine was still running strong last I heard.

Yes, it can be a big initial expense by comparison.....but your driving experience improves greatly from day one. You're not left hoping you'll feel the power after your next $100, $200, or $300 part like you are when throwing away your money on useless bolt ons.

Let's put it this way....say you own your car for 5-years.

You can spend that time bolting on a part at a time. Maybe $250 for a throttle body, $150 for a CAI, $400 headers, $300 for a mid pipe, $500 for a cat back, $500 for a hand held, etc, etc The money adds up, but the power doesn't. In the end, you'll have spend thousands of dollars on aftermarket parts, only to pick up a total of 30-40hp. Now....30-40hp doesn't sound too bad, but the problem is, when you bolt parts on one at a time, every few months like that....you never really feel it. You pick up 3-5hp here, 2hp there and it never really makes an impact. What you end up doing is always "chasing the dragon" so to speak. Trying to reaach a neverending goal.

So....now 5-years has come, your car never really got as fast as you wanted it to, you've spend the entire time broke because every bit of extra money you did make went towards whatever next big bolt on your thought you wanted and you're now tired of it and ready to move onto the next great thing.

Or....you budget right off the bat for a reputable supercharger system. If you can't afford to buy it all in one shot and have to borrow some of the money for it, then do so. You calculate that cost into whatever you pay out monthly with the rest of your bills and be done with it. No surprises and no random expense.

Now, you've got yourself a car that you enjoy driving right off the bat and you actually enjoy driving it for the next 5-years. It's got the power you always craved and in the end, the resale of the car is going to be higher than that of a bolt on Mustang when it comes time to selling if off and move onto the next great thing.

I tell you this, because someone told it to me when I started out and I didn't listen and wished I had. The problem is....the little stuff is tempting and easily affordable because scraping a couple hundred bucks together every couple of months is easy.....but I promise you, it won't reward you in the end like you hope it will. Not with this engine. The 2V modular just doesn't take to bolt ons like the Mustangs before and after it. Too many limitations and not enough options.
Dude that was one of the best responses anyone has ever came back at me with, you said bolt on parts are like chasing the draging lol I totally get that, but after reading that I am 100% getting a supercharger now your totally right Im not trying to chase the dragon lol.

Dude that was one of the best responses anyone has ever came back at me with, you said bolt on parts are like chasing the draging lol I totally get that, but after reading that I am 100% getting a supercharger now your totally right Im not trying to chase the dragon lol.

You will discover that once the blower is properly installed that those previously mentioned bolt-ons will have more of an effect than they would have had normally aspirated.

If I may add a little to this...and play Devil's advocate kinda sorta...but seriously and not to go against anyone or start a debate or anything. I think it may be better for a newbie to actually start with the little mods and gain some knowledge first. The small mods may not give you the hp you're looking for, that is true. But do we all really need a jump of 100+ hp to the wheels? I did the small mods first. And those little mods, while not necessarily snapping my neck back, they did make the car more enjoyable. And then when I got bored with them, I went and got another mod. And along the way I gained a lot of knowledge, experience, and DIY know-how. When I was finally ready, and when nothing else remained, I took the plunge and added a blower. But I never regretted doing the little stuff. I'm just saying, not everyone needs 400 to the wheels to enjoy their car. My GT is fun with boost, but I enjoyed it just as much when it was running 14.1 at the track. And even with my 12 sec Camaro, I stilled enjoyed my GT. It has a blower now. But if I took it off, I would still def enjoy the car.