Engine Stalling and then no start? 86 5.0

nchapman_42

Sep 17, 2021
Missouri
Hey Guys! I have a 1986 Mustang LX 5.0. I will drive the car around and it will drive just fine and then about 10 minutes into the drive the car will just shut off and won't start. It will crank but the RPM gauge stays stuck on 0 and it will just crank forever. It also does it when it is just idling in the driveway. It will turn back on after I let it sit for a couple of hours. I have brand new plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, ignition coil, all-new engine sensors, new ignition switch, and key cylinder. When I run the codes all I get is a charcoal canister code(its not hooked up currently) and a RPM out of range/too low. I've tried just about everything and am starting to get annoyed with it. Any suggestions or fixes? Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

I can't find the 'pick me' emogi
I agree with noobz and I'll add try to find a motorcraft or standard brand, I keep an extra around just for testing.
Come to think of it someone around here has a tfi tester write up.

Last edited:
I run a duraspark on mine
It has always been reliable and hacks the mission
My friend has a 76 Cobra
I am running that dist
He is running a real expensive MSD
I used to joke with him that he mad more money in his ignition system than I had in my car
Used to plat tricks on people
Other friend took his rotor out of the MSD
Almost blew the sob up
Its all fun and games until somebodies ride blows up

MSD is just another component failure waiting to happen. :nonono:

When I lost my mind and overbuilt my engine combo (including boost), I went with a rather simple device that keeps my OEM coil saturated at a preset voltage. My only other non-stock ignition components are the Jacobs wires.

The OEM ignition systems in our cars are pretty damned good. The electrical system is our cars, not so much hence, the coil saturation.

Reactions: 1 user
nchapman_42 ... when the car stalls and won't start, do you hear the fuel pump prime when you turn the key? If not, check fuel pump relay and/or connector in driver kick panel that fuel pump power runs through.