starter/electrical issues

sivart

Apr 15, 2007
well long story short my car completly died on the freeway due to the starter wire gounding out on the headers. so i changed the starter relay (the one on the left fender) and today i changed out the starter, the old one checked bad and changed the wires. So today i went to start it and it started but the starter never turned off......also everytime i hook up the battery the starter will click. I went and got a new starter relay and tried it, well when i hooked up the battery---no click---so i try and start it----nothing---starter never turned on, but u can hear the relay click. i have no idea what the hell the problem is. I have the mini starter- a 4guage and 10guage wire comes from the starter. i have it hooked up just like this
but where does the small 10 guage wire go exzatly?

• Sponsors (?)

I would run the big 4 gauge wire to the starter and then jump a small wire across to the other stud so when you turn the key, it does both through the 4 gauge wire.

i mean i guess there is power at the relay cuz i have lights and can hear the fuel pump prime. But i dont have a volt meter. but is that where the wire (circled in yellow) goes?

the yellow is the 10 guage from the starter and the green is the 4 guage from the starter. The big red wire is from the battery.

I believe you need to swap those cables around. With the mini starter, the large starter cable should be on the same post as the battery cable so it has a constant 12v. The small starter solenoid cable should be on its own post so it is triggered with the ignition switch.

I believe you need to swap those cables around. With the mini starter, the large starter cable should be on the same post as the battery cable so it has a constant 12v. The small starter solenoid cable should be on its own post so it is triggered with the ignition switch.
if it wasnt 10pm and apartment complex i would go do this...but i will try it tomorrow. but i just wonder why they pack so many wires on to 1 terminal?!?!?!!?!.....

If you have the mini starter from Ford you dont need the solnoid on the fender. Go get the power block from a stock 93 Stang. This way the fender solnoid is not a problem if it goes bad. Just my opinion and I did this on my 82 Capri and it works like a charm.

Allen

i did this but still nothing.....just the click. i got a volt guage and i messured the battery.....it red like 12.5 is thats how its sposed to be?

93 LX
If you have the mini starter from Ford you dont need the solnoid on the fender. Go get the power block from a stock 93 Stang. This way the fender solnoid is not a problem if it goes bad. Just my opinion and I did this on my 82 Capri and it works like a charm.

Allen
whats a power block?

Re: Wiring for mini starter

This should heip :

Attachments

• diagramcopy.gif
    diagramcopy.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 99
Get rid of the solinoid all together. If you keep it installed and wire it like RFink it did, it will cause the start to drag after you let go of the key after a while or at least many have had this issue. You have 2 solinoids in line and they do not discharge quick enough or one will stick. Go buy the power block that is avalible in any stock stang with a factory mini starter. I have a 93 and I went to get one for my 82 Capri. Works great and has given me 4 years of trouble free starts.

Allen