Starter Issue?

Ant85

Jul 14, 2013
Richmond, VA
I've never had this issue before until today. I come out from the gas station, start it up and engine is running but I am hearing this weird noise, so I turn the car off. The noise is still there. The starter was still trying to crank the engine over while it was running, and continued to do so after I had turn the key off and even pulled it out the ignition. I even put the key back in, turned the key on and off, and started it back up thinking something was going on with the starter, again it started up and was running but the starter was still going. I didn't hear any grinding noises so I don't think there was any damage to the flywheel? I was kind of embarrassed that this was happening because people were looking at me funny lol so I drove the car across the street to an empty parking lot(starter still going in the process) but by the time I got out the car it had stopped. I know when starters go bad you can tap on it with a hammer to get it to start, but could it also get stuck trying to crank the engine? or do I have another issue?

• Sponsors (?)

I had that happen once when I changed solenoid , I put wires back on in wrong location on the solenoid , if you havnt messed with it maybe a wire is touching or rubbed through its coating and makin connection where it shouldn't, check starter for same

I had to replace the starter. Didn't know they had two solenoids. I replaced the one in the engine bay, also replaced the ignition switch because I heard those are known to go bad and still had the starter stuck. Replaced the starter and all is good now.