STARTER ISSUES

mustangsquared

Founding Member
Jun 8, 2002
new bern nc
OK, SO I FLUSH THE COOLANT SYSTEM AND GET READY FOR A TEST DRIVE...STUPID STARTER WONT DISENGAGE...I CHECK THE SIDE GOING TO THE STARTER...10.9 VOLTS....WITH THE CAR TURNED OFF AND KEY IN HAND....WHAT A PITA. SO I WIL BE REPLACING THE STARTER RELAY...NOW WHAT CAUSES THIS TO HAPPEN...IT'S (RELAY) IS ONLY 2 MONTHS OLD... HELP :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Inside the starter relay (solenoid) the brass contacts that bridge the electrical current are probably out of kilter. "New" just means no one owned it before you, doesn't necessarily mean good. The guy in the factory could have put it together on his Friday.

Did you check volts on the small wire going to the relay from the ignition switch? If it is getting power with the key off than you have a bad ignition switch (in the steering column). Good luck. :nice:

Ok (late response)...
I replaced the starter relay (solenoid) with a new one...and used a ton of dielectic grease on the back...the old one rattled when I shook it...car starts fine...now to focus back on the surge. Thanks for the help.