Starter replaced ( Flywheel Teeth worn )

Mikie

the ahead of you horseman
Aug 2, 2000
Belmont NC
Guys,
My starter has been making the screetching noise after starting it for 2 seconds or so. So today I pull the starter and am going to get the new starter in a few minutes, but when I looked up the flywheel teeth are worn slightly on one side...kinda rounded the edges. The starter teeth were worn also.

Question is,
I dont have money for major work right now. Do you think the new starter will work ok or finish off the teeth on the flywheel?

Man this sucks because I dont want to have to pull the tranny right now.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks
:nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Mikie, I'm having a brainfart right now and cannot remember if you can have a new ring gear (the teeth on your flywheel) pressed onto your old flywheel. If you can, that might be a cheaper fix than a new flywheel (about 100 bucks).

Having chewed-up ring gear teeth and a new starter isnt good IMHO. Now if the starter has a lifetime warranty and you dont mind swapping it periodically.............

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply bro.

I went to crapvance auto...errr. I mean advance auto parts and got the $98 unit that was a rebuilt one, but lifetime warranty.

I put it on and the car starts just fine, but will probably save for the complete flywheel vecause we know its on borrowed time.

Thanks again.
Later:nice:

Thanks for the reply bro.

I went to crapvance auto...errr. I mean advance auto parts and got the $98 unit that was a rebuilt one, but lifetime warranty.

I put it on and the car starts just fine, but will probably save for the complete flywheel vecause we know its on borrowed time.

Thanks again.
Later:nice:

hahah brings back memories, yea i went through two starters before i did my flywheel ($114) and my old one was warped and teeth were worn, after that no prolems sence! so im sure in about a week to a month it will or might start doing it again then you know its the flywheel