Starter replaced ( Flywheel Teeth worn )

Mikie

the ahead of you horseman
Aug 2, 2000
Belmont NC
Guys,
My starter has been making the screetching noise after starting it for 2 seconds or so. So today I pull the starter and am going to get the new starter in a few minutes, but when I looked up the flywheel teeth are worn slightly on one side...kinda rounded the edges. The starter teeth were worn also.

Question is,
I dont have money for major work right now. Do you think the new starter will work ok or finish off the teeth on the flywheel?

Man this sucks because I dont want to have to pull the tranny right now.

Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

Mikie, I'm having a brainfart right now and cannot remember if you can have a new ring gear (the teeth on your flywheel) pressed onto your old flywheel. If you can, that might be a cheaper fix than a new flywheel (about 100 bucks).

Having chewed-up ring gear teeth and a new starter isnt good IMHO. Now if the starter has a lifetime warranty and you dont mind swapping it periodically.............

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply bro.

I went to crapvance auto...errr. I mean advance auto parts and got the $98 unit that was a rebuilt one, but lifetime warranty.

I put it on and the car starts just fine, but will probably save for the complete flywheel vecause we know its on borrowed time.

Thanks again.
Later

hahah brings back memories, yea i went through two starters before i did my flywheel ($114) and my old one was warped and teeth were worn, after that no prolems sence! so im sure in about a week to a month it will or might start doing it again then you know its the flywheel