Starts Then Dies

Gmac1201

Jun 22, 2018
Kentucky
I'm new to the forum and I need some help guys! I have a 91 mustang gt that won't stay running! It will turn over but immediately die. Tried unplugging the MAF sensor but still wouldn't stay running. What do I need to check? It has a bbk air intake by the way. Could it be the tps? I have no idea please help

• Sponsors (?)

There is a surging idle checklist in the 5.0 technical/how to threads that will help you fix idle/stalling problems, go through the checklist step by step and it will save you time and money.

I'm challenged when trying to work on my son's '87 GT with its sensors and computer. . Trying to follow the surging idle checklist and have a problem.
I have 12 volts on the red wire on IAB. No reading between red and wht/lt blu wires. Also have 12 v from wht/lt blu wire and ground.
Think I might have a problem. Appreciate any help.

Tip #1: Meaningful Thread Titles

Let's see what suggestions pop up below if we use one.

capt1.png
I didn't like this feature at first but it grew on me. :) You find these down below.

You have an open circuit between the IAB and the computer. Start by checking the resistance between the white/lt blue wire at the IAB connector and pin 6 of the black 10 Pin connector.

See the graphic for the 10 pin connector circuit layout.
68512.jpg

zero resistance between wht/blu and pin 6

If your multimeter does not auto range, be sure that you manually set it to the lowest range or on continuity test.

Some meters read a open circuit or out of range high resistance as zero.
You should have seen approximately the same reading as when you short both probe tips together.

Last edited: