Steeda CAI Questions

Szlachcic

Mar 30, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I just installed a Steeda CAI and have two questions about it. First, my neighbor said that I might have to install a new thermostat, I was just wondering if this is true or not? Second, I was test driving the car after the install and noticed what sounded like air "thumping" (I can't think of another way to describe it) at higher speeds. I imagine that this is just air being sucked into the CAI, but I just wanted to make sure so that I don't hurt my baby. Any help with either of these questions would be greatly appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

New thermostat? I want some of that sheet your neighbor is smoking.

Just installed a Steeda CAI last night - there is a bit more intake noise (and tire squealing noise) when I'm stomping on the LOUD pedal, but nothing to cause alarm.

Thanks for the responses, I was just trying to be safe. I thought the sound was just air intake, but it scared me the first time I heard it b/c I just heard it all of a sudden and it wasn't just some gradual increase in noise. I am going to drive the car around some more tonight and see if there are any problems, so we will see. No CEL though, YAY! That is what I was really scared about, lol.

Hell, I just went to drive the car and the CEL came on. Has anyone had this problem? It is dark now and I can't pull it into my garage so it is going to be a pain in the ass to fix. I think I am going to plug my pred up to it and see which code it is throwing, but any help would be great.

Update: I have checked out the error codes and two of them were saying the fuel was lean and the third said something about OBD testing could not be completed or something to that effect. Is this caused by the air sensor not being tightened all the way or dirty like a lot of the other posts say?

Could also be the filter not being tightened down properly or the MAF sensor not being installed in the right direction.

...or maybe you didn't get the tune loaded completely/properly?

I reinstalled everything and I still get the light. I have no idea what to do now. Is there any good way to check for leaks, I have tightened everything and have no idea where it could be leaking. This is so frustrating, it wasn't hard to install at all, but the CEL is driving me crazy :nonono: .

One thing I noticed while installing the CAI tune is that it called it a "Steeda Cold Air Intake, 93 octane Performance tune." Why does it say 93 octane, I only wanted to run the 89 octane Performance tune. Could this be causing the problem? I checked the CALID using the predator and downloaded the appropriate Steeda tune, so I don't see how I could have messed this up.

delurker said:
Reinstall *all* of the tunes? Each tune is complete and overwrites any other in your car's computer.

Sorry if I say something stupid, I am a complete newb at this and am trying to learn with this car, lol. So I don't have to install the performance tune and then the custom tune, I can just install the custom tune? I wasn't sure on this when I read the manual so that is why I just installed the perfromance tune and then the custom tune. I figured it couldn't hurt anything if I was wrong since I would just be updating the performance tune with the custom tune.

Since I love to do things myself and have to wait till Monday anyways to get the appropriate tune for my car and JLT Im gona do some fiddling to the stock C&L tune and see if I can at least not allow the CEL to come on.

Thus far the basic C&L tune combined with the JLT intake results in a lean condition on both banks according to the diablo, go figure....

Off to adjust the fuel and anything else I feel like messing with. Wish me luck. :)

-Dan

After adjusting the WOT (wide open throttle) and about 25 miles of driving without the CEL it seems that backing down 2 points in each of the selectable RPM ranges is a fix. You'll need to do this to both the 0-4000 and 4000-7000 ranges. Please contact Steeda during their business hours as I am only a first time computer tuner and Im sure they could give you more detailed help at getting the lean condition out. :)

-Dan

Szlachcic said:
Sorry if I say something stupid, I am a complete newb at this and am trying to learn with this car, lol. So I don't have to install the performance tune and then the custom tune, I can just install the custom tune? I wasn't sure on this when I read the manual so that is why I just installed the perfromance tune and then the custom tune. I figured it couldn't hurt anything if I was wrong since I would just be updating the performance tune with the custom tune.

Won't make a difference how many times you load - whatever goes in last should set everything; however, you should not be running 89 octane fuel if the tune was made for 93 octane (or vice versa)...it will most likely have timing advance and/or leaner fueling beyond the capability of 89 octane fuel's ability to prevent predetonation. You will need to switch to higher octane fuel or a different tune, or you'll risk damaging your engine.

delurker said:
Won't make a difference how many times you load - whatever goes in last should set everything; however, you should not be running 89 octane fuel if the tune was made for 93 octane (or vice versa)...it will most likely have timing advance and/or leaner fueling beyond the capability of 89 octane fuel's ability to prevent predetonation. You will need to switch to higher octane fuel or a different tune, or you'll risk damaging your engine.

I didn't want the 93 octane fuel tune. I just followed the instructions about using the CALID to find the correct Steeda tune and when i am loading it that is what it calls it. Does anyone know if it is really a 93 octane tune and if so which download is the one that is for 89 octane. I don't want the 93 octane tune as this is my DD so I need to fill it up frequently. I will be contacting both Steeda and DiabloSport on Monday to get this mess straightened out.

For the C&L one that I downloaded from Diablo, the 93 Octane and 91 Octane tunes are available and Im running the remaining 87 out of the tank with retarded timing on the 91 tune. You'd have to check with MAC if a lesser octane tune is available but you should really be using the 91 octane tune with 91 octance pump gas.

-Dan

cleveland said:
For the C&L one that I downloaded from Diablo, the 93 Octane and 91 Octane tunes are available and Im running the remaining 87 out of the tank with retarded timing on the 91 tune. You'd have to check with MAC if a lesser octane tune is available but you should really be using the 91 octane tune with 91 octance pump gas.

-Dan

I would gladly run the 91 octane tune, but I don't know which tune to download since the whole CALID matching thing didn't work out before. I will just download the different ones until I find the one that shows up as 91 or 89 octane depending on what I want to run.

You had the right idea, the CALID has to match correctly to your car. Dont even bother using the other files if the CALID doesnt match. The MAC tunes should contain a 91 Octane tune and a 93, you will be informed which is which when just about to impot one of the tunes to the PCM.

The C&L comes with a "performance tune" which notifies you thats its rated for 93 octane upon trying to import it. The other tune is printed as a "91 Tune" in the menu.

-Dan