Steeda CAI w/ Tune

Yesterday I installed the Steeda CAI, removed the hydrocarbon trap, and flashed the computer with a SCT tune from Steeda. Steeda says it gives you 20 some HP, hummm I don't know because I don't have before and after dyno pulls. The nearest dyno to me that I know of is 700 miles away. Anyways, the moter feels good and from a "seat of the pants" point of view it's awesome. It's a big difference in motor response. Step on the gas and things happen right now as opposed to before happening in a second or two. On start up it seems to idle (1100 RPM) a little high, then drops around 850-900 RMP range. I'm not sure if that normal or not with this tune, I'm going to call Steeda and ask. Overall and without a dyno to see what I really gained I'd say this was a good buy and the CAI and the flash was very easy to do. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

05SatinSilver said:
Ruffy, how do you like the Tri-ax shifter? :shrug:

Dave...
The Tri-Ax is great. It's a little stiffer than stock, but all the shifts are very positive. With the shorter throw it's actually easier to shift IMO. The throw is shorter perhaps an inch and there is a little more road/transmission noise. I glued some Dynamat under the console and that quieted things down a bit. It's a pain to install, but I had it done working alone in close to three hours, also you will need a lift, or four jack stands. One other thing, put some silicone grease on the bushings, polyurthane is great but they sometimes squeek and bind without a little grease. This is my second Tri-Ax, I had one on my '97 and one of the best mods you can add. Too bad it doesn't add HP.
:)

Tri-Ax DEFINITELY adds noise!!!!!!!

Ruffy said:
The Tri-Ax is great. It's a little stiffer than stock, but all the shifts are very positive. With the shorter throw it's actually easier to shift IMO. The throw is shorter perhaps an inch and there is a little more road/transmission noise.
:)

I agree on every count- especially the noise issue! I can hear every single gear and bearing inside that Tremec now!! When you compare the Tri-Ax to the factory shifer you see the obvious trade-offs the engineers dealt with.

The factory shifter has rubber grommets everywhere and is made of stamped metal. The whole thing feels rubbery and vague while the Tri-Ax is very precise, all metal-on-metal.

The trade-off is that in order to get rid of those rubber grommets and vague wobbly feeling you also elminate all of the sound-deadening insulation that those grommets provide and now it's like putting your ear up against the end of a long screwdriver and pressing the tip against various engine points to diagnose bearing or valve-train problems. The sounds of that gear box are transmitted DIRECTLY through the shifter and into the interior cabin.

FORTUNATELY I've got Bassani mufflers that help drown out the whines and whirs of gears! :spot:

Steve

Sounds to me as if the short throw shifter has more negatives than positives?
The stock shifter is not bad at all in this car. If I end up losing alot of comfortability it doesn't seem worth it. Am I off base? I usually throw a short throw shifter in but now I am not so certain.

ExCon said:
Sounds to me as if the short throw shifter has more negatives than positives?
The stock shifter is not bad at all in this car. If I end up losing alot of comfortability it doesn't seem worth it. Am I off base? I usually throw a short throw shifter in but now I am not so certain.

Dude, If you drove my car w/ the Tri-ax shifter for a day, you would't want your old shifter.... Trust me. It's a good upgrade from stock.

ExCon said:
Thats why I ask. I also don't want a shifter that vibrates so much you don't want to rest your hand on it.
It doesn't vibrate ExCon, just the noise from the gears. But like Chad said, you won't want to go back to the stock shifter after using this one. It's not a really loud noise just louder than stock, and I hardly notice it anymore, plus I play my music Loud most of the time.