Steeda crank pulley, oil leak???

seattlegt

May 3, 2006
So I looked under my hood today and there was oil on my Steeda crank pulley in the center area. It was lightly sprayed around the spot I saw(most likely from it spinning off the pulley). Anyone have experiance with this? Is it serious? Thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

When the pulley was installed a dab of high temp silicone should have been applied to the keyway in the pulley and to the key itself. You really should remove the pulley, clean the area and reinstall it using the high temp silicone.

yep, i was going to suggest the silicone in the keyway as well. did you do the install, or did a shop? if a shop did it, run it back and let them worry about it. if you did it, did you use silicone and how did you use it?

i had the same issue with mine..i installed it my self i put the silicone on it just kept coming back...i even replaced the crank seal...then one day it just stopped...good luck with it...also check to see if your power steering line is leaking mine was and i fixed it i dont know if that had anything to do with it but that is when it went away...

rent one from a local auto parts store. basically, you buy the tool, use it, and they give you 100% of your money back after you return it. its called a tool loaner program and basically it is just a deposit on the tools in case you dont return them. i did this for the harmonic balancer puller, installer, and a coil spring compressor. it ran me about $140 for everything, but i got it all back. great program.

one thing that also crossed my mind is the amount of time that was allowed for the silicone to dry. if they put it together and test drove it immediately, it may not have proper sealed up the keyway. i waited a full day to drive it to be sure it sealed up nicely.