Steering Clunking/pop noise

dullgamble

Sep 20, 2020
florida
Hello,

I have this strange clunk/pop noise when I turn my wheel slightly when stopped. I just replaced the rack bushings, and my rack and pinion is fairly new. The sound also only happens when the car is on the ground. When I had my car jacked up to replace the bushings there were no sounds coming from moving the wheel. All of the other bushings and suspension parts looked good when I was inspecting them. Has anyone else had a sound similar to this and what solution did you find? Also should I be concerned about driving with it making this noise?

Here is a video with the sound

View: https://youtu.be/Arz3AnXvhUg

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

Strange. Just by the volume of it in the passenger compartment makes me wonder about the steering shaft joint may be worn, but I'd think it would cause more of a snap deflection in the steering wheel when you hear the noise in the video. I'd wonder if the ball joints or tie rod ends maybe having a flat spot that you only feel under load? Or perhaps something as simple as a tire rubbing against the fender or something as you exercise the wheel (only when at loaded ride height)?

Strange. Just by the volume of it in the passenger compartment makes me wonder about the steering shaft joint may be worn, but I'd think it would cause more of a snap deflection in the steering wheel when you hear the noise in the video. I'd wonder if the ball joints or tie rod ends maybe having a flat spot that you only feel under load? Or perhaps something as simple as a tire rubbing against the fender or something as you exercise the wheel (only when at loaded ride height)?

Thanks for the input! I will definitely check out the ball joints and tie rod ends. So actually the day after posted this post, I have not had that sound occur from my steering. When I installed the new rack bushings, my steering really tightened up, and I lubricated a lot of my suspension parts, so I wonder if maybe my car just adjusted to the new tightness and if the lubrication set in from my driving.

Side note, I will be installing new sway bar bushings as mine were really worn out and I could move it with my hand if I shook it with some pressure. However this sound disappeared before the install. I did apply lubricant to these bushings when doing the rack busing job, so maybe the grease I used set in and removed that sound? Kind of a mystery at the moment.

i have a 1998 mustang gt 4.6..i also am having the same issue... i replaced:
1) rack and pinion
2) both ball joints
3) both wheel bearings
4) both inner and outer tire rods
5) both struts
6) both sway bar bushings
cant figure out the damn "POPPING" noise