Steering off center?

Power4

May 10, 2004
Rochester, NY
I've noticed that when I'm driving down a straight road I have to turn and hold the steering wheel slightly to the left to go straight. When I hold it what would appear to steer the car perfectly straight it slowly turns to the right. Anyone know what could cause this?

• Sponsors (?)

No, the stealership won't warranty it, and may be more expensive. Go to a local trusted tire/alignment shop. Had mine done for $45 by the local shop into factory specs after my springs/camber bolts install.

It can't hurt to have the alignment checked. It could, however, be a crown in the road. If the road is crowned, the road itself is pushing you to the right and you have to turn the steering wheel slightly left in order to go straight.

You can check this yourself by going to a fairly empty parking lot that is level. Drive in one direction and see if you have to turn the wheel slightly to the left. Then drive in the opposite direction and see if you have to turn the wheel slightly to the left. If so, then head for the dealership or an alignment shop.

I went to Firestone to get mine done. They were very quick. I'd look for someone that offers a lifetime alignment for around $100. Then you never have to worry about paying for an alignment again.