Suspension Steering rack

• Sponsors (?)

There are different ratios. Do you want it to turn quicker around town, Tess nervous on the highway or are you up to an sn95 swap for a different “feel?”
If you get the one from a budget rebuilder, who knows what parts they threw in. I have had good experiences with TRW PS racks and parts. Since they were one factory supplier, I hope they are am still good at making them.

How many miles in the ball joints bushings etc? A new rag joint (or u joint shaft) and tight steering and suspension parts With the inner and outer tie rods will “tighten up” The feel with better response on a lot of cars. I still wish I had a speed variable ratio for parking lot and city fun, then a less twitchy steering on the highway.

TRW made the Ford rack up to 1983 or 1984. After that it was Ford's own internally made rack. I don't see TRW as a rebuilder of these racks anymore. Cardone is a major rebuilder these days. Fox parts are slowly getting less and less support these days due to dwindling numbers, so while we had 15 choices of rebuilders 10 years ago, it's now down to Cardone and a few other lesser name shops

If you want a stock replacement, all 87-93 V8 racks are the same. Shop for one for a GT model to avoid the LX V8 = 4cyl part mixup that sometimes occurs.

If you want an upgrade, look into an SN95 swap. The key harware you'll need is a steering shaft with adapter for the SN95. That makes the swap a little more expensive.

Don't chase the harder-to-find 03/04 Cobra rack. The much more common 2002-2004 GT rack will be fine for 99% of most people looking for the upgrade.

You can also have your rack rebuilt by turn one steering.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 1 users
When Moog and TRW were available, Cardone was the brand to use when your car was done for. That’s just sad now that it is at the top of the list.
Here is what @MFE92 had to say in 2012
Despite all the differences, here's what you need to know: If you're driving an '87-93 5.0, you want the "sport suspension" or "performance" rack, 15:1 ratio, 2.25 or 2.5 turns lock to lock. You do NOT want the 3 turns, 18:1 ratio rack. The only difference between the 2.25 and 2.5 racks is the thickness of the rack travel limiters installed at the inner ends of the tie rods, other than that they're identical. The 2.25 units were used in the 91-93 cars with 16-inch wheels.

I was busy and had the Alinement Shop put the rack in my 91, and they tossed the clips, my 16” tires run at full lock, so have them check if you need them before tossing.
here is another thread you might find helpful. I’ll let someone else say more about the sn95 racks, except maybe it makes even more sense with a spindle and 5 lug conversion.