• Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech

Stereo Install

  • Thread starter Thread starter Klock75
  • Start date Start date Feb 3, 2016

Klock75

New Member
Feb 3, 2016
6
0
1
Feb 3, 2016
#1
  • Feb 3, 2016
  • #1
I have a 99 gt with stock stereo, I bought a 02 gt with a mach 460 system in it..my question is if I can remove wiring harness from 02 and use it in my 99..
 

Ogre

Active Member
Sep 24, 2003
120
7
29
NC
Feb 4, 2016
#2
  • Feb 4, 2016
  • #2
Nothing really that great about the Mach 460. I've had it in a couple Stangs that I've had. I pulled mine out and went with all aftermarket head unit, amps, speakers, sub, etc. Much easier to do this and you will end up with a better sound system.

As for your question if you can use it in your 99? Yes. It's going to be a PITA, though...
 

Klock75

New Member
Feb 3, 2016
6
0
1
Feb 4, 2016
#3
  • Feb 4, 2016
  • #3
Ogre said:
Nothing really that great about the Mach 460. I've had it in a couple Stangs that I've had. I pulled mine out and went with all aftermarket head unit, amps, speakers, sub, etc. Much easier to do this and you will end up with a better sound system.

As for your question if you can use it in your 99? Yes. It's going to be a PITA, though...
Click to expand...
Ogre said:
Nothing really that great about the Mach 460. I've had it in a couple Stangs that I've had. I pulled mine out and went with all aftermarket head unit, amps, speakers, sub, etc. Much easier to do this and you will end up with a better sound system.

As for your question if you can use it in your 99? Yes. It's going to be a PITA, though...
Click to expand...
Thanks for the input..I haven't completely decided if I'm gonna try to swap it or not..I do think it would be easier to do away with it.
 

wmburns

SN Certified Technician
Aug 14, 2009
5,892
514
204
Houston Texas
Feb 5, 2016
#4
  • Feb 5, 2016
  • #4
Klock75 said:
I have a 99 gt with stock stereo, I bought a 02 gt with a mach 460 system in it..my question is if I can remove wiring harness from 02 and use it in my 99..
Click to expand...
Major differences in the radio wiring between the 99 and 02. Will NOT plug and play nicely.

I have a 2000 GT with the Mach sound system. For just over $200 Frys installed an aftermarket JVC head unit that fit very nicely in the dash. For this I got:
  • Blue tooth
  • Hands free dialing
  • USB port
  • CD player
The installer used an off the shelf adapter to "adapt" the 2000's wiring to the aftermarket head unit. The installer then routed the wire for the microphone along the "A" pillar. Best $200 I ever spent.

I'm all for getting value out of older stuff. But IMO for something like this, the new technology beats the old "hands down".
 

burnthelight88

Active User
Oct 21, 2010
30
0
6
Pittsburgh, PA
Feb 15, 2016
#5
  • Feb 15, 2016
  • #5
It'd be such a headache for a system that isn't that great to begin with. You could steal part of the harness but you'd still have to connect a lot of external wires to that harness it'd be a nightmare. Most people are asking questions about how to get away from the 460, just take their advice and stay away.
 
You must log in or register to reply here.

Similar threads

Problems after exhaust install and 02 harness
  • djj62478
  • Jul 2, 2026
  • 1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk-
  • 2
Replies
39
Views
788
1979 - 1995 (Fox, SN95.0, & 2.3L) -General/Talk- Jul 18, 2026
AeroCoupe
A
A/F ratio gauge install questions.
  • AngryH58
  • Sep 24, 2026
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
Replies
2
Views
92
1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk- Sep 24, 2026
squeak93
G
Electrical Getting good ground in 1991 Fox Vert for amps - getting popping noise when I turn on the lights?
  • gvanginkel403
  • Apr 11, 2026
  • Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech
  • 2
Replies
20
Views
602
Fox 5.0 Mustang Tech Jul 21, 2026
gvanginkel403
G
T
Digital Tuning Hello OBD2 problem
  • TNmach1
  • Sep 18, 2026
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Replies
0
Views
56
SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech Sep 18, 2026
TNmach1
T
7
What megasquirt kit to order
  • 74delta
  • Jul 4, 2026
  • Digital Self-tuning Forum
Replies
15
Views
495
Digital Self-tuning Forum Aug 26, 2026
fasterthangas
F
Share:
Bluesky Email Share Link
  • Mustang Forums
  • 1996 - 2004 SN95 Mustang -General/Talk-
  • SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech
Menu
Log in

Register

  • Forums
  • What's new
  • Media
  • Resources
  • Contact
  • Sponsor
X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?

X

Privacy & Transparency

We use cookies and similar technologies for the following purposes:

  • Personalized ads and content
  • Content measurement and audience insights

Do you accept cookies and these technologies?