stiff clutch

Glaze

Apr 3, 2005
Gainesville, GA
ok im about ready to put an auto back in the 91 GT but before i do i need to know a couple things. I love the T5 but cant stand the stiff clutch. This latest car (my 3rd manual) has such a stiff clutch and its not consistant either. T5 is not even a year old, clutch is a NAPA brand not HD, Summit cable that has been in my previous car, summit quadrant. I have it set up where clutch starts engaging about half way from the floor. Clutch cable does have a melted spot from where it got too close to the full length headers on my previous car. It doesnt seem the cable is starting to fray but it just seems at times when cold its much easier to depress clutch. Maybe its driver fatigue? I just read that someone mentioned to purchase a factory stock non adjustable cable as it is beefier? Would i just need a firewall adjuster? This clutch seems no way near a king cobra i have had. Or is it this cheap 3 year old summit cable thats could be causing this? And would a centerforce clutch be worth the reduced effort for the costs? Keep in mind im a little guy with little weight in the legs.

Long time since ive been here. Sup hissin

• Sponsors (?)

Hey bud, glad to see you back in here!

My two cents: The stock non-adjustable cable is the beefiest. This one does require a FWA. The Ford adjustable piece is (IMHO) the second best thing out there. I compared the two when swapping from the latter to the former and both looked good.

That said, for LT's, I would look into a quality SN95 cable to work around your LT's (the SN95 cable is longer). MM is a good place to get one.

I dont know the geometry of the Summit quad you have. The angle of the crescent can make a difference in the effort needed, as does the cable's ability to slide in the sheath.

I cant really comment on effort since I'm a big guy and have a HD clutch in mine. I did drive a KC car and it was almost hydraulic feeling (relatively speaking).
I also wonder what the characteristics are of your pressure plate (others can probably comment upon that aspect).

I know you know all this stuff - I'm just thinkin aloud with you.

Good luck deciding what to try :nice:

Good to see old faces!

The summit cable was in my old show car with long tubes. now its in the gt. ok you talked me into getting a new ford cable. i should know better as ive previously replaced a summit cable due to snapping. would you happen to know which quadrants have the better geometry for easy pedal effort? the summit was one of the first generation quadrants to come out in the early 90's.

although i do miss driving a 5.0 auto in the city...lol